- I left my job as an auditor and started work as an analyst at a paper company here in Atlanta
- I adopted two little kitties with my husband
- Oh and I got married last fall! So you’ll be hearing a lot about my husband, Tyson, especially since he is my main taste tester
- We moved into our first house! You’ll probably see pictures of my favorite room in the house, the kitchen. I’m obsessed with it!
Now that you’re all caught up, let’s get down to business. This week’s recipe is an ambitious one: chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream! I think this goes without saying, but I will anyway: you will need an ice cream machine for this recipe. Doesn’t matter what kind, though. I have a very basic model from Cuisinart (less than $100) and it makes perfect ice cream. So no need to get those fancy machines that are like $200 or more. Unless that’s what you really want. But definitely not necessary.
Alright, now let’s talk about the recipe. What drew me to this recipe was how it claimed that the ice cream itself tasted like chocolate chip cookie dough, even without cookie dough bits. That was so important to me. Personally, I don’t think chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream should taste like vanilla with cookie dough bits. So when I read this, I knew this blogger was my kinda lady.
Recipe (adapted from Celebrating Sweets):
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup of whole milk
- ⅔ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 5 large egg yolks
- pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips (added during assembly below)
- ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
|this is how your setup should look. and yes those are my multivitamin gummies and no I didn’t realize they were in the shot|
|look at those creamy yolks|
7. Slowly pour 1/2 cup of the warm milk into the egg mixture, whisking while you pour (this will slowly bring up the temperature of the eggs). DO NOT ADD THEM QUICKLY! I apologize for shouting but this is super important, okay?! If you add them fast, the eggs will curdle like scrambled eggs.
9. Once the mixture is thoroughly chilled, pour mixture into ice cream machine. Prepare ice cream according to manufacturer directions. While the ice cream is churning, you can roll the cookie dough into little balls. Chill until it’s time to assemble.
|in it goes!|