Healthy Onion Dip – A dip made from roasted onions, garlic, lemon juice and Greek yogurt will be your favorite addition to any event
As things start to get back to normal, many of us are starting to gather again with friends and family we haven’t seen in over a year. For the first time in forever, we have had visitors to the house in the last three weekends in a row. It’s been so great to see everyone again (safely) and finally introduce our children to many of our favorite people.
With visitors becoming a normal thing for us, I needed to come up with some easy recipes for yummy snacks. Today’s recipe is just that – a yummy snack that perfect for serving a crowd but is also healthy. It’s a recipe for my Healthy Onion Dip. It’s made from Greek yogurt (no mayo here!) and roasted onions! That’s it! Well, there’s a little garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil added for flavor. But really, that’s all there is to this dip.
Before we get into the recipe, here are a couple more looks at the dip:
How is this dip made
This healthy onion dip is made by completing just two easy steps:
- Roasting the onions and garlic
- Mixing together with Greek yogurt
Roasting the onions
To start the dip, various onions are sliced and tossed with the garlic cloves, olive oil, and salt and placed into a 13×9 baking pan. It’s important to use a pan this size to help the onions roast without burning. If you use a pan too big, the onions will spread out and absorb too much heat, making them burn.
Making the dip
Once the onions have roasted, they’re cooled, chopped, and then mixed in a bowl with the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and more salt. Finally, the dip is finished off with a sprinkle of cayenne on top.
Tips & Tricks
- It’s important to use a mix of different onions so that the dip doesn’t taste too sweet, which it will if using just yellow or Vidalia onions.
- Make sure to let the onions cool before chopping them. They’ll be much easier to handle when they’re not hot out of the oven.
- The flavor in the dip develops as it sits so it will taste much better hours after you first make. As such, feel free to make ahead of time and refrigerate until serving.
Healthy Onion Dip
- 1½ pounds onions (white, yellow, red)
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1½ cups whole fat Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- cayenne pepper (to taste)
- ruffled chips for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel onions and cut in half and cut off ends. Slice thin into strips. Place into 9×13 baking pan. Add whole cloves of garlic and olive oil. Toss together.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes and then stir. Bake for another 15 minutes and then stir again. Bake for about 10-15 minutes until the onions have softened but only barely turn golden. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Remove garlic and smash with a spoon or flat size of a knife. Add to a medium bowl. Dice cooled onions and place in bowl, along with salt, lemon juice, and cayenne. Mix together and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve immediately or chill until serving time. Serve with ruffled chips and/or crudité veggies.