This post was sponsored by Kroger and The Coca-Cola Company. All opinions expressed on my site are my own.
Philly Cheesesteak Sliders – A fun party food made by layering cooked beef, peppers, and onions with provolone cheese and baking in the oven between soft slider rolls just long enough to toast the tops and melt the cheese. Don’t forget to serve them with a favorite dipping sauce and ice-cold Coca-Cola Zero Sugar.
Football season is behind us and now it’s time to get pumped for the college basketball tournament starting next week! Just like football, college basketball presents the perfect reason to host all your friends for a watch party.
As I’ve mentioned in many previous posts, I am a huge fan of homegating. Homegating is what I call hosting a tailgate experience at home, which then eliminates all the hassle of tailgating at a stadium or arena. No need to pay for parking, or lug around a grill, TV, tent, and other tailgating necessities. You can enjoy the game on the comfort of your couch and entertain your friends with a fully-stocked kitchen.
In previous posts, I’ve detailed recipes that I think are PERFECT for homegating. And today I’ve got a new one for you – Philly Cheesesteak Sliders! Not only are they perfect for homegating, they are the ideal pairing with an ice-cold Coca-Cola Zero Sugar.
I don’t know about you but whenever I have hearty sliders like these, I need something crisp and cold to quench my thirst and Coca-Cola Zero Sugar is just the thing to hit the spot. Plus, the mini cans are the perfect serving size for homegating parties!
How to throw a “homegating” party
Before we get to the recipe for these philly cheesesteak sliders, let’s talk more about homegating and how to properly prepare to host such an event.
First, you want to make sure to plan your menu ahead of time so you have plenty of time to visit Kroger and gather all your Taste of the Tournament party needs. You can even order your groceries from your app to save some time while you get the house ready!
When planning out your menu, you will want to have plenty of options: dips, protein, veggies. dessert, the whole spectrum! And don’t forget drinks! Like I said above, I love having Coca-Cola mini cans available because they’re the perfect servings size for parties.
You also want to make sure you have plenty of seating available, depending on the number of guests you plan on hosting. I usually use my dinner table as the table for all the snacks and drinks and then set up all the dining room chairs around the TV.
How are these sliders made?
Okay, now for the recipe.
These sliders are the perfect party food because (1) you can make a lot of food pretty easily and (2) they’re super filling.
To make them, it’s just a few easy steps:
- Cook beef and veggies
- Layer them on slider buns with provolone cheese
- Top with melted herb butter
- Bake until cheese is melted and buns have toasted
I also love making this burger sauce for dipping. It’s rich and tangy – the perfect complement to these hearty sliders.
Tips & Tricks
To ensure that these sliders come out perfectly the first time, here are some tips I think you’ll find helpful:
- I love using very thinly sliced beef for this recipe. The only kind I’ve been able to find was in the freezer section, next to the meatballs. It’s made especially for philly cheesesteaks. I like it because it cooks very quickly. However, I wrote this recipe to use thinly sliced steak cut into strips that you can find at your local grocery store in the meat department because that’s more easily available, I think. But either will work perfect for this recipe! You just want to make sure you use thinly sliced beef because it’s much easier to bite through that thick slices.
- If you plan to serve with the dipping sauce, I highly recommend making this the day before. The longer it sits, the deeper the flavor becomes.
- I used slider buns for this recipe because I think they hold the ingredients really well. But if you can’t find them, you can use dinner rolls.
I hope you add this recipe to the top of your list for your tournament parties this month. And make sure to check out www.TasteoftheTournament.com for more recipe inspirations!
Philly Cheesesteak Sliders
For the sliders:
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter salted
- 12 ounces thinly sliced beef cut into strips
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1/2 red pepper sliced
- 12 slider buns (or dinner rolls)
- 3 tablespoons mayo
- 8 slices provolone cheese
For the herb butter topping:
- 3 tablespoons butter salted
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
For the dipping sauce (optional, but so very yummy):
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sweet relish
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
For the philly cheesesteak sliders:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grab a 13x9 casserole dish and place bottom half of slider buns on the bottom of the dish. Spread mayo on the cut side of the bottom half of the buns. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix salt. pepper. paprika, and garlic powder. Set aside. In a large skillet, heat butter and canola oil over medium high heat. Once butter has melted, add beef and sprinkle with half of the seasoning. Cook until browned, about 3-6 minutes (depending on how thick your beef is cut). Remove beef and place on a plate. Set aside.
- With the skillet still on medium high, add onions and peppers. Sprinkle with remaining seasoning and cook until tender, about 6-8 minutes. Add beef to warm back up for about 1 minute. Turn off heat.
- Layer beef and vegetable mixture on top of prepared bottom half of buns. Layer on the 8 slices of provolone cheese. Top with other half of slider buns.
- Prepare the herb butter topping by melting the 3 tablespoons of butter in the microwave for about 25 seconds. Add Italian seasoning and garlic powder and stir together. Brush a thin layer over the tops of the slider buns.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 3-5 more minutes or until tops get toasted and cheese is melted. Be very careful and watch these sliders so they don't burn on top! Remove from oven, cut sliders, and serve with cold Coca-Cola Zero Sugar and yummy burger sauce (recipe below). If you don't feel like making the full recipe below, I also love just mixing the ketchup and mayo together. It tastes INCREDIBLE with these sliders.
For the dipping sauce:
- Mix all ingredients together until combined. The longer the sauce sits, the deeper the flavor gets.
Pin for later:
More party foods you’ll love: