Chili Mango Sorbet – Fresh mango, lime juice, lime zest, and a little chili powder are blended together and then frozen into a creamy sorbet.
Today we have the first sorbet recipe of National Ice Cream Month for 2023. It’s this Chili Mango Sorbet, which is incredibly flavorful and dreamy creamy. Because of the thicker consistency of fresh mango and lower water content, it makes for the PERFECT texture in sorbet.
To make the flavor pop, a little chili powder, lime juice, and lime zest is added to the fresh mango and blended together. You don’t get an overwhelming smokey flavor from the chili powder – just a hint of umami that balances out the sweetness of the mango perfectly.
Here is my recipe for Chili Mango Sorbet!
Tips & Tricks
- Blend well! The mango is blended with water and sugar before freezing in the ice cream machine. The sugar is what keeps it from freezing solid into one big ice cube, so it’s important that you blend the sugar into the mixture as much as possible. Give the mixture a taste to see if it’s still grainy, and if it is, keep blending until smooth!
- Cover well. To keep ice crystals from forming on the sorbet, make sure you cover with a layer of plastic wrap by laying the plastic right on top of the sorbet before covered and freezing.
- Ice cream machine. This recipe calls for an ice cream machine. I know, I know – one more appliance that you need. But I love mine and use it a lot. And it’s the only way I know to get a creamy sorbet that isn’t icy at all. If you use the same one as me, don’t forget to place the drum in the freezer at least 8 hours before using!
Chili Mango Sorbet
- 4 cups fresh diced mango
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Add mango, lime juice, lime zest, chili powder, sugar, water, and salt to a blender. Blend until smooth and sugar blended in. It should not be grainy. Keep blending until graininess is gone.
- Pour mixture into a large measuring cup or small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Once mixture is chilled, add mixture to ice cream machine and churn for 15 minutes, or until frozen. Pour frozen mixture into storage container and chill until more firm, about 1-2 hours. Or you can enjoy immediately, if you like it soft like me!