Everything Bagel Breakfast Casserole – A hearty and rich breakfast casserole made with super flavorful everything bagels, Gruyere cheese, and crispy bacon.
I know Memorial Day is coming up this weekend and I probably should be posting about grilling recipes, festive red, white, blue recipes, or refreshing salads. However, I have been sitting on this breakfast recipe wayyy too long so I just had to share it with you guys. It’s the most incredible breakfast casserole I’ve made EVER and I cannot keep it to myself for another second!
Before we get into the recipe, I have to admit – savory breakfasts aren’t usually my thing. I am almost always ordering pancakes or waffles or crepes or french toast when we go out to breakfast. My husband, on the other hand, it all about the savory. Therefore, many of the breakfast casseroles and other savory morning treats that I make are made with him in mind.
But not this time…this breakfast casserole was all about me!
If there’s one savory breakfast I love, it’s bagels and cream cheese. So when I saw this recipe for an Everything Bagel Breakfast Casserole, I was immediately intrigued. Everything bagels are some of my favorite because of their incredible flavor so I knew they’d make a great base for a casserole. I couldn’t wait to try it out.
Guys. My life was changed forever.
This casserole is not only flavorful but the combination of textures is unreal – chewy bagel, crunchy bagel, gooey cheese. And those little of nuggets of cream cheese…they’re like little pockets of heaven and my favorite bites in the whole casserole. It was all so delicious that I ate like three servings in one sitting. No, I’m not exaggerating.
So without further ado, I share with you my new favorite breakfast casserole and probably the best one I’ve ever had…EVER! Check out this Everything Bagel Breakfast Casserole!
Casseroles are so easy because you simply throw a bunch of things together and bake. And this bagel casserole is no exception. The most work you’ll have to do is cook the bacon.
We cook it separately so that it gets nice and crispy. If added into the casserole raw, it would be more chewy and all that bacon grease would get into the casserole, which I think would be a richness my mouth couldn’t handle.
After you get the bacon cooked, you’re ready to layer everything – bagels, cream cheese, Gruyere cheese, and bacon – and then soak in the egg custard. I made mine with heavy cream in the custard and it was so rich. So next time I’ll try using half and half to cut down the richness a little.
Before you get going on this recipe, here are few tips to note:
- Like most breakfast casseroles, you need to let this one sit for a couple hours before baking so that the bagel can absorb the custard. Therefore, make sure you give yourself enough time to make this casserole from start to finish. I don’t need mine to sit more than 2 hours because I don’t like my bagels too soft – gotta have that chewy texture still.
- Make sure you are using block cream cheese and not the tub of cream cheese. Block cream cheese has lest moisture and is made for cooking so it will hold up the best.
- Once the casserole is baked, don’t forget to let the casserole sit and cool for 10 minutes before serving. This allows for the casserole to come together and be easy to serve instead of messy and gloopy.
And there you have it – the most amazing breakfast casserole on the planet. Trust me – you won’t want to wait another second to try it for yourself!
Everything Bagel Breakfast Casserole
- 5 large everything bagels cut into cubes
- 8 ounces bacon diced and cooked
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese shredded
- 8 ounces cream cheese cut into cubes
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups cream or half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- chives for garnish
- Grease 13x9 baking dish. Add half of cubed bagels to the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle half of the Gruyere cheese, half of the bacon, and half of cream cheese. Repeat layer once more.
- Add eggs, salt, and pepper to a large bowl. Whisk eggs until completely beaten. Add cream (or half and half) and whisk to combine. Pour over the casserole and press casserole into the egg mixture to ensure it is as submerged as possible.
- Cover mixture with foil and let it sit in the fridge for 2-4 hours.
- About 20 minutes before baking, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Once preheated, remove casserole from fridge and place into oven. Bake for 40 minutes covered with foil. Then, remove for foil and bake for 15 more minutes to get bagels to brown a little bit on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy! Store leftovers in fridge for up to 3 days.
Pin for later:
More breakfast recipes you’ll love:
Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Mini Ham & Cheese Quiche with Caramelized Onions
Very good but was a bit dry, next time will serve with hollandaise sauce.
nice try, It seems to be a wonderful ideo to make this for a breakfast :).
If you do not have gruyere cheese, is there a substitute you recommend?
Mozzarella will work just fine!
Could this sit overnight before baking? Just trying to figure out how early you’d have to get up to make this
yes, you can have it sit overnight before baking. but I recommend using drier bagels if you’re going to do that. You can dry out your bagels by removing them from the bag for a day or so.
I’ve never thought of this. But it looks so good. And ok your other recipes that popped up I pinned those too!
Oh my goodness it’s like two of my worlds colliding lol! That looks so yummy! Casserole and bagel in one!
Haha yes exactly!
Ashley R. says
I so wish I would have seen this recipe before we hosted guests the last couple weekends! Looks soo yummy!! Thanks for sharing!
This. sounds. incredible. I think I’m gonna give this a shot this weekend 😉
I hope it came out great!!
I have fallen in love with this idea. Eating your breakfast in style..amazing!! I would love to eat like this.
Wonderful! Glad you like it!
It’s past 10 pm but I’m craving this casserole now. Looks so comforting! My familywould devour it on a whim.
It’s so incredible – I don’t blame you!
Shashi at SavorySpin says
My daughter is usually the savory breakfast lover and I’m all about the sweet breaky! With that said, I, too, love bagels and cream cheese and they are probably my only savory breakfast choice (like you) so I am thinking i would LOVE this casserole – also – it has bacon!!! Bacon!!!!! B_A_C_O_N!!!!
Hahah great minds think alike!!!
Ashley @ Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen says
OK this sounds INCREDIBLE! I live right across the street from a bagel shop here in NY, so this is super doable for me. I’ll have to keep it in mind for the next time I host brunch!
Yes for sure!
Allison - Celebrating Sweets says
OMG! This is my kind of breakfast. Everything bagels are my fave. I can’t wait to try this!
You’re gonna love it!
Amanda Martin says
Pinning this! I’m always on the hunt for breakfast dishes to make when we have house guests. This is perfect and sounds fantastic.
Yes me too! I love a great breakfast casserole for when people visit
Jennifer Penas says
OMG I love everything about this recipe!! Everything bagels are my absolute favorites!!
Kate Andrews says
I am obsessed with bagels so this is right up my alley. Looks really easy to do to!
Like how you made this with bagels. Different and unique taste. Always nice to find a breakfast dish that will feed a crowd.