Asian Steak Skewers – Tender sirloin is marinated in Asian flavors and skewered with red onion and red pepper before it’s grilled to perfection!
Happy Memorial Day! I am so thankful for the sacrifices made by so many so I can live a life full of freedom and I am happy we get to honor them today.
Hopefully most of you are spending the day outdoors, grilling up a storm and enjoying so fun in the sun. Sadly, we are expected to have rain ALL DAY so we used yesterday for some pool time. This pregnant mama needed to get her float on at least once this weekend!
In case you are still scrambling for ideas of what to grill today, I’ve got a brand new skewers recipe for you guys. You know I love a great skewers recipe like these bang bang shrimp skewers or these cilantro lime chicken skewers – they’re so easy to throw together and even easier to serve since no utensils are required. They’re perfect for all your summer entertaining needs!
Today’s skewers recipe is all about the beef – sirloin steak, to be exact. I love cooking steak but it’s a tough one to serve at parties because who wants to sit down during a party and use steak knives to cut through a steak?! Therefore, skewers are the best way to go!
For the flavor, I went with a flavorful Asian marinade, made with soy sauce, fresh ginger, and chopped green onions that’s so simple to put together. And don’t forget the chunks of veggies – they taste INCREDIBLE charred over the grill.
Without further ado, I present my Asian Steak Skewers!
The flavor in these skewers is unreal – we can thank the marinade for that. Don’t underestimate the power of a great marinade! It tenderizes the meat as it pump seasoning and flavor into each chunk. And you barely have to do any work to get it started.
All you need to do is mix all the marinade ingredients together in a large ziplock bag and add in the chunks of sirloin steak. Toss them around and then just chill for a few hours. Obviously, the longer the steak marinades, the deeper the marinade can get into the meat. I recommend 4-6 hours.
After the steak is done marinating, all you gotta do next is layer it on the skewers with the chunks of red pepper and red onion. Those veggies not only give you nutrients, but they are aromatic veggies that release great flavor as they cook, which will only add more flavor into the steak. So don’t skip them!
Here are a few more tips to help you get this recipe just right:
- I cut the chunks of steak into smaller pieces so I could make more skewers. But feel free to cut into large chunks to get more tender bites.
- Since we’re marinating in a ziplock bag, you want to make sure to place the bag in a dish or plate in case that bag fails. Trust me, you do not want to clean up marinade out of every nook and cranny of your fridge!
- Make sure you don’t cut the veggies into small pieces but rather into large chunks – they’ll fall off the skewers as they grill.
- These skewers don’t taste as good when made ahead of time, so I recommend grilling right before you serve them. You can skewer them ahead of time, if you need to save time.
There you have it – a grilling recipe you can make today and all summer long! Hope you enjoy your Memorial Day! See you back here on Thursday!
Asian Steak Skewers
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- 1 pound sirloin steak cut in large cubes
- 1 medium red onion chopped in large pieces
- 2 red peppers chopped in large pieces
- sesame seeds optional garnish
- Add soy sauce, oil, honey, apple cider vinegar, water, green onions, garlic, and fresh ginger to a large ziplock and seal. Massage to combine ingredients. Open bag and add cubed sirloin. Seal again and massage marinade into beef until it's all coated in marinade. Place bag on a dish and refrigerate for 4-6 hours.
- 30 mins before skewering steak, soak large wooden skewers in water for 30 mins. Remove and dry on a paper towel. Prep pepper and onion, if not already done.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Remove steak from fridge. Start skewer with a vegetable (onion or pepper) and then a piece of steak. Add the other vegetable and then another piece of steak. Repeat one more time so you have 4 pieces of steak on the skewer. Repeat until all the steak is used.
- Cook skewers on preheated grill for 8-10 minutes, making sure to rotate so all sides get grill marks. Remove and sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using. Serve immediately.
Pin for later:
More grilling recipes you’ll love: