Lemon Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes – Homemade pancakes are given the gourmet treatment with the addition of fresh lemon zest, blueberries, and creamy ricotta cheese. Served with blueberry syrup for an added punch of flavor.
Lemon is a flavor I never, ever thought I’d like. I turned my head at lemon favorites like lemon pound cake, lemon bars, and even lemon meringue pie. I don’t know what it was – maybe it was too tart? Maybe it wasn’t rich enough? I’m not exactly sure – I just know that, if it had lemon, I wasn’t haven’t any of it.
But somewhere in adulthood, my distaste for lemon shifted. I think it started with savory dishes like refreshing lemony pasta or lemon butter sauces for fish. And then, like witchcraft, I started liking lemon desserts, too. I even had a lemon bar not too long ago and actually LOVED it!
But this recipe isn’t about lemon desserts. Today’s recipe is all about lemon ricotta pancakes. I first tried them at a cute little brunch spot here in Atlanta. I was drawn more to the ricotta in the pancakes than the lemon (at the time). I figured creamy cheese could only make pancakes better, so how could these go wrong?!
And holy moly – they were oh so right! Slightly thick and creamy in the center, but still perfectly crispy on the outside. Why did it take so long for me to find these?!
Ever since then, I’ve continued to order them whenever I’ve seen them on a menu. But I have yet to try them for myself at home. So here it is – my attempt at lemon ricotta pancakes. As you can see, I’ve added my own twist with the addition of fresh blueberries and blueberry syrup.
Check out my Lemon Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes!
One thing that I’ve always loved for breakfast are blueberry pancakes. So when thinking through this recipe, I needed to add some blueberries to make them extra special. It’s quite fitting that lemon and blueberry are a match made in heaven so the blueberries only made the lemon pancakes even better.
And for an added blueberry kick, I like to serve my pancakes with blueberry syrup!
Okay now let’s get to the recipe for these incredible pancakes. The key to an incredible pancake is that it taste delicious even before you’ve put any syrup on them. To ensure that flavor is right on point, all my pancakes are made with the following:
- A hint of sugar in the batter – this helps form a little crust on the pancakes when cook
- Vanilla extract – this helps take the sweet flavor to a deeper level
- Butter for grilling – this is a MUST for all my pancakes. When pancakes bake on the sizzling butter, you get a perfectly crispy crust on the pancake that cannot be skipped. TRUST ME.
Let’s get a close-up of that buttery crust:
Before you get going on this recipe, here are a couple tips:
- To make the pancakes extra fluffy, the eggs are added separately. This is done so we can whip the egg whites and fold them in. You’ll see the batter gets light and airy, which translates into light and airy pancakes.
- Only add batter to a hot pan. A good way to know if the pan is hot is to add the butter and see if it sizzles. Once the butter sizzles and starts to brown a little, ladle in the batter. If you add the batter to a cool pan, the pancake will take forever to cook and will never get a good crust on top.
- You’ll know when the pancakes are ready to flip when you begin to see bubbles form on top. I also like to check the edges by sliding a spatula under the pancake to see if it easily releases from the pan. If so, it’s ready to flip.
Alright there you have it – an incredible new recipe to enjoy for your next weekend breakfast or brunch. It’s perfect for all the spring events coming up – Easter, Mother’s Day, you name it! Let me know how you like them by commenting below!
Pin for later:
More Blueberry treats you’ll love: