Truffle Scrambled Eggs – Creamy eggs are cooked in a white truffle oil with a hint of chopped chives and serve on a slice of sourdough toast
I was recently surprised by a yummy breakfast while out at brunch with my husband. He ordered these incredible eggs that were served on a slice of sourdough bread and cooked in truffle oil to really give it that umami flavor. They were incredible! Creamy and flavorful, yet so simple. It had been a while since I was impressed by simple scrambled eggs so they stayed with me for a while.
Soon after, I went on the hunt for truffle oil to make these eggs for myself at home. The search was a little trickier than I imagined. Truffle oil has been around for a while now so I thought it was something I could just buy at Walmart or the grocery store. However, all the varieties sold were artificially flavored. And they were gross. Trust me, you don’t want to bother with the fake stuff.
I did some research online to find the best truffle oil (reasonably priced, of course) and I found that so many articles recommended this one. It turned out PERFECT in this recipe – not overpowering and the smell didn’t overtake the room like the fake stuff did.
So without further ado, here are my Truffle Scrambled Eggs!
Making these eggs
These eggs are cooked in no time. They use a low heat, but even that won’t keep those eggs cooking for long – 5 minutes max. The truffle oil is added right to the pan so the eggs are coating in it while they cook. Right before the eggs finish cooking, chopped chives are folded in.
The eggs are removed from the heat right before they finish cooking. The residual heat of the eggs and pan will finish them off. Serve them over buttered sour dough toast and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
- Low heat. The most important step in making creamy scrambled eggs is low heat. You want those eggss to cook slowly so they don’t get “shocked” and turn rubbery.
- Real truffle oil. Do not even attempt to make this recipe if you cannot locate authentic truffle oil or butter. I have tried the fake stuff and it’s HORRIBLE. Here is the kind I bought on Amazon and it’s great.
Truffle Scrambled Eggs
- ½ teaspoon authentic white truffle oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons half and half
- 1 pinch salt and ground pepper
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- ½ teaspoon chopped chives more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons butter salted, softened
- Place nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add white truffle oil and let it heat up a little. In a medium bowl, add eggs, half and half, and a little salt and pepper. Whisk until combined. Add to nonstick skillet and leave undisturbed. Place sour dough slices in the toaster.
- Once the edge of the eggs starts to cook slightly, gently fold eggs over each other to cook the eggs more and prevent them from browning. Add chopped chives. Remove from heat right before the eggs finish cooking.
- Butter the toasted slices of sourdough. Split eggs over the two slices. Sprinkle with chives for garnish and a pinch more of pepper. Serve immediately.