Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich – Mayonnaise is replaced with creamy avocados to turn classic egg salad into a healthier treat made with hard-boiled eggs, fresh dill, lemon juice, and chopped parsley
Eggs have been an obsession of mine lately because their such a great source of protein and so quick and easy to make. But I’ve been getting bored of the typical over-easy egg so I’ve been looking for new ways to enjoy them.
These bacon & blue cheese deviled eggs are great, but they’re a little too much work for a meal for just me. So I kept searching and found an incredible recipe for Avocado Egg Salad that is unbelievably simple but does not skimp of flavor. And it’s packed with protein and healthy fats!
Check it out!
How its made
Egg salad is typically made with mayonnaise and spices. For this recipe, however, we substitute the mayo for avocado so the creaminess is still present but there is much less fat and the fat that is present is healthier.
The avocados are mashed with diced hard-boiled egg, lemon juice, fresh parsley, and, my favorite ingredient, fresh dill. Dill is such an underrated herb and I wish I used it more. It adds such a punch of flavor to everything it’s in. Next time you have a great homemade ranch dressing, look closely and I’m sure you’ll see fresh dill in the recipe.
After mixing the egg salad together, I serve mine on slices of multi-grain bread. I think the hearty, grainy bread is the perfect contrast for the creamy egg salad and adds just enough bite.
Tips & tricks
This recipe can’t get any simpler. But regardless of the recipe, I can always find a few tips to give you guys to ensure the recipe comes out perfectly:
- I recommend boiling the eggs ahead of time and then keeping them in the fridge until you need them. Making hard-boiled eggs takes about 15 minutes and then you have to cool them for 15 minutes so I just make them ahead and keep them ready in the fridge to save myself some time later.
- If your avocados are really soft, I don’t recommend mashing them before mixing into the other ingredients. Otherwise, the mixture will be too creamy and all the avocado chunks will be gone. I like my egg salad to have chunks of avocado in it still so I keep the mashing to a minimum and gently stir the ingredients together to keep the avocados intact.
- If you plan to store any of the egg salad for later, I place plastic wrap directly on the mixture to keep it from turning brown.
Avocado egg salad is my new favorite sandwich, beating out my old favorite – the BLT. Maybe the BLT needs a little makeover like this egg salad received? To be determined…
Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich
- 8 large eggs hardboiled
- 2 medium avocados
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Peel eggs and rinse under water to remove lingering shell pieces. Dice eggs into small pieces. In a medium bowl, place avocado. If avocado is firm, mash with a fork. If it's soft, leave it unmashed.
- Add eggs, lemon juice, dill, parsley, and salt to avocados. Stir together with a fork until combined. Serve on multigrain bread immediately or cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Pin for later:
More recipes you’ll love: