Easy Sheet-pan Zucchini Gratin – The effort for making zucchini gratin is cut in half, thanks to this easy sheet-pan recipe, made with mozzarella, panko breadcrumbs, and Parmesan cheese.
And I’m back!!
I’m sorry I’ve left you without a new recipe in more than 2 months – being a new mom has really taken a toll on my schedule. I found myself so stressed out trying to think of new recipes, make them, and publish them on time that it was sucking all the fun out of cooking and baking.
So, with the support of my incredible husband, I took a step back from this blog that I love so much before I began to resent it. And, man, am I glad I did! Now I’m back with a TON of recipe ideas that I cannot wait to share with you all.
First up – this Easy Sheet-pan Zucchini Gratin.
I first tried this recipe through Hello Fresh. I’ve talked about my love of Hello Fresh before, but in case you forgot, it’s a subscription service that sends you a box of ingredients with accompanying recipes for the week. We do it once a month to try new recipes and switch-up the weeknight meal slump that we sometimes find ourselves in.
Yup, even food bloggers can get caught in food slumps.
Anywho, this recipe was a side dish that accompanied some kind of chicken. Well, this zucchini gratin clearly stole the show because I don’t even remember what kind of chicken it was!
I loved this zucchini gratin so much for multiple reasons:
- It’s easy – you just throw all the ingredients on a sheet pan and it’s ready in less than 15 minutes
- There are only a few ingredients – zucchini, tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and Italian seasoning
- It’s a healthier version of a traditional gratin – no cream in this recipe!
Before tackling this recipe, here a re a few things to keep in mind:
- Don’t cut your zucchini too thin or else it will get too mushy while it roasts
- I used fresh mozzarella for this recipe because it melts so smooth and has a great texture. But if you rather use shredded mozzarella, that will work just as well.
- Panko breadcrumbs are a MUST in this recipe. They add a whole extra level of crunch that this dish needs
- This is not a recipe I recommend making ahead of time. It’s best when the cheese is warm and melty and the breadcrumbs are still crunchy. If you want to save some time though, you can prep the ingredients ahead of time and simply assemble and bake when it’s time to eat.
Alright guys…there you have it! My first new recipe of 2019! I already have my next one in the works so keep a look out for it next week. I’m so happy to be back 🙂
Easy Sheet-pan Zucchini Gratin
- 2 zucchini
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Slice zucchini into 1/4-inch rounds. Slice plum tomatoes into 1/2 inch wedges (about 8 wedges per tomato). Place veggies onto large baking sheet that can be used under a broiler. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle Italian seasoning. Add a pinch or two of salt and a pinch of pepper, to taste. Toss together.
- Bake veggies in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Remove from oven. Turn up oven to 500 degrees (or use the broiler).
- While the oven is heating up, cut the mozzarella into small cubes. Then, sprinkle panko breadcrumbs over the cooked zucchini, followed by the cubed mozzarella, and the grated Parmesan cheese. Continue baking until breadcrumbs have browned and mozzarella has melted.
- Remove from oven and let it cool for a couple minutes before serving.
Pin for later:
More recipes you’ll love: