PB&J Ice Cream Sandwiches – Creamy strawberry ice cream and a dollop of strawberry preserves are sandwiches in between two soft peanut butter cookies. These ice cream sandwiches are the perfect after school snack!
Apparently a whole month of ice cream wasn’t enough for me to get my fix because here I am with another ice cream treat! This treat, however, has it’s roots in school-time snacks.
School is in session for so many states now. Though I don’t have kids of my own, so many of you out there do, so I wanted to share a snack that both parents and kids will go crazy for.
If there’s one thing I’ve learned about food, there are just some foods that you just don’t get too old for. In fact, if anything, it becomes more enjoyable to enjoy these foods as an adult.
I’m talking about grilled cheese, pizza, chicken nuggets, and, today’s star combination, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!
Yup that’s right…I’ve turned your childhood favorite sandwich into a cool dessert. Check out these PB&J Ice Cream Sandwiches!
I’ve been planning this recipe for a while and I always wanted to share this one in August because it is a great recipe for an after school snack. So I purposefully didn’t share it with you guys during National Ice Cream Month.
And, if the weather where you live is anything like it is here, it’s still plennnnty hot to enjoy ice cream treats. I start breaking out into a sweat by just getting the mail!
As I said before, PB&J is one of my favorite sandwiches to eat, even as an adult. It’s a combination that will never get old, in my mind. However, it does evolve every so often – maybe I’ll use a different jelly/jam/preserves or even switch up the PB.
Speaking of PB, if you’re a huge fan of PB, like me, you’re gonna wanna check out next week’s post – there may or may not be three different PB flavors that I’ll introduce you to.
Okay- back to the ice cream sandwich.
Because I love enjoying this combo in new, yet familiar ways, it only felt natural to turn this sandwich into a sweet treat. And what better sweet treat than ice cream!
The sandwiches are incredibly easy to make. Here is a rundown of the steps:
- Make cookie dough
- Bake cookies
- Let cookies cool
- Add preserves and ice cream to half of the cookies
- Sandwich together with the other cookies
- Keep yourself from eating them all at once
And with regards to the preserves, I just gotta give a shout out to my favorite brand out there – Bonne Maman. It’s made with with natural ingredients (no corn syrup here!) and has incredible flavor.
I think the preserves add another chewy texture and more fruit flavor to these ice cream sandwiches to further give you the impression that you’re eating a true PB&J. Plus, it just makes the sandwiches look extra decadent, right?!
Before you get to baking and assembling these sandwiches, here are some tips that will help you get them right:
- Make sure you chill the cookie dough before baking – otherwise, the cookies will spread too thin and get crispy instead of chewy.
- You absolutely have to let your cookies cool before assembling the sandwiches. If they are still warm, they will (1) melt the ice cream and (2) the cookies will fall apart as you eat the sandwich. However, if you plan to eat the sandwich immediately, I don’t see a need to wait – just be prepared for a big mess. My tip is only for those who want to store the sandwiches in the freezer for later.
- I like to store my assembled ice cream sandwiches in a square baking dish so they aren’t scattered throughout my freezer. The pan helps keep them organized.
Here are all the kitchen tools and serveware that I used in today’s recipe. For each item sold below, I make a small commission. I only recommend items that I own and love so you can trust that each recommendation is tried and true. Thank you for supporting CPA!
Pin for later:
More sweet treats that you’ll love: