Salted Caramel Brownie Milkshake – Homemade salted caramel sauce is blended with vanilla ice cream, milk, and chocolate brownies to make the most decadent milkshake you’ve ever had!
Oooo honey do I have a delicious treat for you today! When I tasted it for the first time, I almost dropped to my knees in bliss. The flavor is spot on and will keeping you going for sip after sip. So what is it?
Today’s recipe is for my Salted Caramel Brownie Milkshake. The salty, rich caramel sauce is just what the chocolate brownie needs to mellow it out. Add in some vanilla ice cream and you just can’t beat how balanced it all is. In one word: divine.
And to make things even better, this milkshake is incredibly easy to make. I use a couple tricks to simplify the recipe but also maintaining the integrity of the milkshake. But before we go any further into the recipe, let’s marvel at its beauty, shall we?
How to make this milkshake
Milkshakes are super easy to make. After all, it’s just ice cream and milk blended together. For this milkshake there is one extra step involved and that’s for the salted caramel sauce. We’re gonna make it from scratch.
Salted Caramel Sauce
I’ve made the salted caramel from scratch and I’ve also purchased it and let me tell you…homemade salted caramel sauce is just better. It’s got this velvet texture that just makes you sigh in happiness.
To make the sauce, you melt the sugar down until it’s a dark amber color. Then, the butter is whisked into the sugar until combined. Next, the heavy cream is slowly added and whisked into the sugar mixture. Just let it boil for 1 minute and then remove from heat and finish off with a little salt.
The sauce is then cooled for 1 hour before using in the milkshake.
Blending the shake
The milkshake is made by adding in vanilla ice cream, the homemade caramel sauce, milk, and brownie together and blended just until smooth. Don’t over blend or the shake will get too thin.
Tips & Tricks
- When making the salted caramel sauce, make sure you let it cool before making the milkshake. Otherwise, it will melt the ice cream too much and turn the milkshake runny.
- After the sauce is done boiling, don’t whisk it anymore. You don’t want any of the firm parts on the bottom of the pan to loosen and destroy the smooth texture of the sauce.
- I bought brownies from the bakery instead of making my own. But if you feel like using your homemade recipe, go for it! I just suggest letting the brownies get a little dry to help them blend better in the milkshake.
- Do not over blend the milkshake or it will become too thin and runny.
Salted Caramel Brownie Milkshake
For the milkshakes:
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup salted caramel sauce (recipe below)
- 2 large brownies (about 3 inch squares)
- whipped cream for garnish
For the salted caramel sauce:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter salted, sliced
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
To make milkshakes:
- Add milk, ice cream, and salted caramel to blender. using your hands, bread brownies into large chunks and throw into blender. Blend until smooth, about 15-20 seconds.
- Pour into a small glass, top with whipped cream, and serve with a straw.
To make caramel sauce:
- Place sugar in medium saucepan and heat to medium. Stir occasionally with a silicone spatula (make sure it can handle high heat temps!). As the caramel begins to liquefy, scrape from the bottom and mix back into the granulated pieces. The sugar will clump but eventually it will melt again and turn a deep amber brown. Make sure you are still stirring so it does not burn.
- Once the sugar is melted, add butter and stir until butter is melted, about 2-3 minutes. Use a whisk to incorporate the butter with the sugar.
- Very, very slowly, add the cream to the sugar mixture while whisking. The mixture will start to bubble violently, but keep stirring and it will calm down. Allow it to boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in the salt. Transfer to storage container (such as a mason jar) and allow it too cool for at least 1 hour before using.