Easy Ravioli Lasagna – Meat sauce, cheese ravioli, and mozzarella cheese are layered to make a yummy baked pasta dish that is incredibly easy to put together
And the easy dinner recipes keep on coming! I’ve featured a handful of easy dinners these last few months, like this easy fettuccine alfredo and this mojo pork tenderloin and you guys have loved them. So before we get too far into the baking season, I want to share yet another easy dinner recipe: Easy Ravioli Lasagna.
As you know, lasagna is made with various layers that can take some time to throw together. Meat sauce that you need to make, lasagna noodles that you need to cook, and ricotta cheese that you need to mix with herbs and spices. This easy version cuts the prep time in half while still maintaining the same main textures and flavors.
How is this ravioli lasagna made?
This lasagna takes out the complicated steps of lasagna and makes it much more accessible, especially on a weeknight.
First, we cut out the hassle of making a meat sauce by simply adding cooked beef and onions to a jar of tomato sauce. I used my favorite tomato & basil pasta sauce for added flavor.
Next, for the pasta and ricotta layers, we instead use frozen cheese ravioli. The lasagna layers will cook the pasta while in the oven so there is no need to cook it before hand. Also, because of the cheese filling in the ravioli, there is not need to add more ricotta for its own layer. In fact, I did try it with more ricotta and it was just too rich.
Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheese
To bind the whole lasagna together, we added in a layer of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese (and a little sprinkle of Italian seasoning for one last burst of flavor).
Tips & Tricks
- It’s super important to drain the beef after cooking it and before adding in the tomato sauce. Otherwise, the sauce will be too greasy and fatty. This is also why I use lean ground beef vs chuck or sirloin.
- The key to any great casserole is making sure to cook it until it’s bubbling. This ensures the center is cooked enough and the topping is melted and and crispy around the edges.
- Before serving, make sure to let the lasagna cool for 10 minutes to let the juices thicken back up. Otherwise, you will have a gloopy mess when scooping out the servings.
Easy Ravioli Lasagna
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ medium onion diced
- 1 24-ounce jar tomato sauce
- 1 24-ounce bag frozen cheese ravioli
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet oven medium heat. Add diced onion and cook until slightly softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add ground beef, salt, and pepper, Break down the beef so it's crumbled. Cook until it's browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and drain beef and onions to remove excess fat.
- Add jar of tomato sauce to beef in the skillet. Heat over medium until sauce is warmed. Spread ½ of sauce on the bottle of the baking dish. Layer half of the frozen ravioli over the sauce. Next, layer on half of each cheese and then sprinkle with half of the Italian seasoning.
- Next, repeat with the rest of the ravioli and then top with the rest of the meat sauce. Top with the remaining cheese and Italian seasoning. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until all the cheese has melted, is bubbling, and slightly browned around the edges of the baking dish.
- Remove from oven and let it cool for a few minutes before servings.