Triple Chocolate Skillet Cookie – Chocolate cookie dough is loaded with chocolate chips, baked in a cast-iron skillet, and then topped with chocolate ice cream and served while the cookie is still warm.
Ooooh chocolate. I cannot get enough of it. I am starting to think it’s no accident that I was born in February, the month that celebrates chocolate more than any other.
It seems as if my taste for chocolate intensifies as I get older. My new favorite ice cream has three kinds of chocolate. Chocolate cake with fudge frosting used to be too much for me to handle – but not anymore! I can eat a whole slice without needing a sip of milk.
So it’s no surprise that today’s chocolate treat has three kinds of chocolate – chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and chocolate ice cream. The one thing I may love more than chocolate is a chocolate chip skillet cookie. So I’ve taken those two loves and combined them into one stellar dessert.
Check out my Triple Chocolate Skillet Cookie!
What is a skillet cookie?
In case you haven’t had the incredible privilege to enjoy this magical dessert, let me explain the skillet cookie experience. A skillet cookie is a cookie that is cooked in a skillet and served straight from the oven. It is enjoyed warm with ice cream and eaten with a spoon. It’s gooey and melty, yet crispy around the edges. It has everything you love about chocolate chip cookies but quicker and easier to make.
How is this skillet cookie made?
A huge benefit to making the cookie in the skillet is that you don’t have to chill the dough before baking. So whenever you are craving the skillet cookie, you can enjoy it in under 30 minutes!
To make the dough, you simply cream the butter and brown sugar, add the eggs, vanilla, and dry ingredients. Then you add the chips and place the dough in the skillet. The skillet is baked in a preheated oven until the edges of the cookie get crispy but the center is still a little gooey.
Tips & Tricks
- This recipe makes a large cookie perfect for sharing. But if you decide to enjoy it alone and want to reheat leftovers, place the skillet over low heat on the stovetop until the chocolate chips begin to melt again.
- If you don’t have a skillet, you can easily substitute a round cake or pie pan and achieve the same results.
Triple Chocolate Skillet Cookie
- 6 tablespoons butter unsalted, softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chocolate ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray cast-iron skillet with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Add butter and brown sugar to a bowl of a stand mixer. Beat with a paddle attachment until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix on low just until dough forms. Add chocolate chips and mix on low for 5 seconds or until mixed throughout.
- Empty dough into prepared skillet. Using a rubber spatula, spread dough evenly over the skillet. Bake in preheated oven until the edges firm up but the center is still gooey, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with 2-3 scoops of chocolate ice cream. Serve immediately.
Pin for later:
More recipes you’ll love: