Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Wings – Wings are fried until perfectly crispy and then tossed in a zesty lemon pepper sauce
Crispy chicken wings have been hard for me to recreate at home without frying them. I’ve tried the oven and the grill, but neither give the wings the perfect crunch on the outside. But I had yet to try them in the air fryer – until now.
I learned a neat trick for making crispy food in the air fryer – toss them in potato starch! It makes for a crispy coating on the outside, even for food without any fat, like chicken breast. So I knew it would work wonders on the fatty skin of a chicken wing.
And it really did! The chicken wings were unbelievably crispy – even more so than any fried wing I’ve had. After air frying them, I tossed them in my lemon pepper sauce and served with some ranch dressing for dipping. The result was these Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Wings!
Making the wings
These are made entirely in the air fryer. but before we even get to that, we must first prep the wings. To do this, separate the flat from the drumette and remove the tips. Discard the tips. Place the wings on paper towels to soak up their excess moisture. Keep refrigerated for a couple hours while this happens.
Once dried, the wings are tossed in potato starch to create a light coating. Then, they are placed in a preheated air fryer and then sprayed with an olive oil or canola oil spray. Cook them in a 360-degree air fryer for 12 minutes, flip and cook for 12 minutes more.
Finally, the temp is increased to 390 degrees to crisp up the wings even more. This will only take about 6 minutes.
Lemon pepper sauce
The lemon pepper sauce is super easy to make. Melted butter, honey, lemon juice, lemon pepper seasoning, and paprika are whisked together until combined. The hot wings are added to the bowl with the sauce and tossed together until coated.
Tips & Tricks
- Potato starch is a must! The potato starch will help the skin get crispy so don’t skip it. If you must use something else, corn starch also works, but not as well.
- Dry out the skin. To get a crispy skin, you must remove as much moisture as possible. So don’t skip the drying stage in the recipe!
- Reheat the sauce. If the sauce sits for too long, it will firm up. But don’t worry! you can just reheat it in the microwave and it will loosen up again.
Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Wings
- 8 whole wings
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- olive oil or canola oil spray
- ½ cup potato or corn starch
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1½ tablespoons honey
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 2½ tablespoons lemon pepper seasoning
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Separate drumette and flat into separate pieces. Discard the tips of the wing. Pat them dry. Line a baking sheet with a paper towel. Place wings skin side down on the paper towel. Sprinkle with salt. Cover with a top layer of paper towel. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours to help the wings dry out.
- Remove wings from the refrigerator and then place in a zip locked bag with the potato starch. Shake to coat them in the starch. Preheat air fryer at 360 degrees for 3 minutes.
- Place wings in air fryer in one even layer. You may need to air fry wings in multiple batches if they can't all fit in the air fryer. Spray with olive oil or canola oil spray. Air fry for 12 minutes, flip and then cook for another 12 minutes. Flip wings one last time, increase temp to 390 degrees and cook until crispy for about 6 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add lemon juice, honey, and lemon pepper seasoning. Stir together until combined. Toss cooked wings in the toss and then serve immediately.