Cookie Monster Cookies – Chewy brown sugar cookies are colored blue, stuffed with a whole Oreo, and loaded with white chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, chocolate chip cookie pieces, and Oreo cookie pieces to make a monster of a cookie!
Cookies! It’s been a minute since we’ve had a cookie recipe so why not go BIG?! These Cookie Monster Cookies are three cookies stuffed in one. Would Cookie Monster want it any other way? Plus, I bet he’d love the blue hue we’ve given these cookies.
The base of these cookies are chewy, brown sugar and we add chopped chocolate chip cookies, Oreo cookies, and two kinds of chocolate chips. They’re pretty massive – and I wouldn’t change a thing about them.
Here are the Cookie Monster Cookies!
Making the dough
The base of these cookies is just like any other brown sugar cookie dough you’ve made. Just a little blue.
To start, the butter and sugars are creamed together. Vanilla and an egg are added in and mixed to combine. Now comes the blue food coloring. This is added before the dry ingredients to ensure the dough is not overmixed. Once you add flour, the gluten starts to develop and will get tough if overmixed. So we add in the food coloring before the flour.
The flour, baking soda, and salt are mixed together first and then mixed into the dough base. Finally, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and the cookie pieces are added into the dough.
Forming the cookies
Once the dough is ready, it’s time to form the cookies. A tablespoon of dough is created for the base and placed on the baking sheet for 5 cookies per sheet. An Oreo is pushed on top of the dough so that the dough covers the bottom of the Oreo.
Another tablespoon of dough is placed over the Oreo to seal in the cookie. This is done for all the cookies.
Before baking, the cookies are chilled for about 20 minutes in the freezer. Then they go straight into the oven to bake for about 15 minutes.
Tips & Tricks
- Gel food coloring. This recipe calls for a beautiful blue color. To achieve this without messing with the chemistry of the dough, use gel food coloring. A little goes a long way!
- Chill the dough. The dough needs to chill a little in the freezer to make sure it’s not too warm when heading in the oven. If too warm, it will cause the cookies to spread into pancakes when baking.
- Bake until cracked. Because the cookies are blue, it will be harder to tell when they’re done baking. But if you look at the texture of the cookie, it will start to crack when cooked-through. Take them out at the first sign of cracking.
Cookie Monster Cookies
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ -½ teaspoon blue gel food coloring
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 14 Oreo cookies
- ⅓ cup chopped mini Chips Ahoy cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prep two baking sheets by lining with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add butter and sugars to bowl of a stand mixer and mix on medium low until combined. Increase speend to medium and cream together for 2 minutes. Add vanilla and egg and mix until combined. Add gel food coloring until dough turns an electric bright blue. It willl soften in color when the dry ingredients are added so it's important that the color at this stange is super blue.
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Then add to the blue dough and mix just until combined. Add in chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, chopped Chips Ahoy cookies, and 4 oreos, chopped into pieces. Mix to combine.
- On one baking sheet, scoop 5 separate heaping tablespoons of dough an place 3-4 inches apart from each other on the baking sheet. Place 1 whole oreo onto the dough and press down to flatten out. Top each cookie with another tablespoon of dough and seal in the oreo. Repeat with the second baking sheet.
- Chill cookies in the freezer for 20 minutes. Bake chilled cookies for 15 minutes or until the tops of the cookies just begin to crack. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before serving.