Greek Pasta Salad – Orzo pasta is tossed with Greek dressing, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, garbanzo beans, cucumbers and feta cheese, to make a yummy side dish for any occasion.
Welp, January is here. Let the healthy eating begin! I think most of us are sick of sweets and rich foods from the holidays so we’re actually looking forward to putting those behind us. Well, just until Valentine’s Day. Then it’s time for all the chocolate!
To kick off your healthy eats, I have a yummy Greek Pasta Salad. It’s got a lot of veggies and healthy protein like feta cheese and garbanzo beans. It’s the perfect snack or side dish to enjoy this first week of the New Year!
Tips & Tricks
- Cooking the pasta is more important than you think. You gotta make sure it’s perfectly seasoned and not overcooked. Therefore, don’t forget to add salt to the boiling water before cooking the pasta and only cook the pasta until it is al dente. Don’t let it get mushy!! If it’s mushy, it will fall apart in the pasta salad.
- Dressing tastes better over time. The herbs and spices in the dressing will only build flavor the longer they sit together. So if you want to make anything ahead of time, make the dressing.
- Add lettuce last. The lettuce will wilt over time so do not add it to the salad until right before you plan to serve it, give or take a couple hours.
- Slice the onion thin. Red onion can be overpowering if the pieces are too big. Therefore, it’s best to slice it thin for this salad.
Greek Pasta Salad
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ red onion sliced
- ½ English cucumber diced
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
For the Greek dressing
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup canola oil
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- Place a small pot of water on the stove to boil. Add a tablespoon of salt. Once boiling, add orzo and cook until al dente (should take between 6-8 minutes; check package directions for exact time). Drain pasta. Add to a large bowl with ⅔ cup of Greek dressing (recipe below). Toss to combine. Let the pasta cool before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Once the pasta has cooled, add in the rest of the pasta salad ingredients. Season with a little salt and pepper, as needed. Serve immediately or within 12 hours. If making ahead, add in the romaine right before serving.
For the Greek dressing:
- Add all ingredients to a mason jar. Cover and shake to combine.