My favorite grilled chicken sandwich – I love this sandwich because of it’s simple ingredients, juicy texture, and yummy flavor without being overwhelming. We make it every week!
This week, I am sharing a recipe that we make every week. We started making it about a year ago as a way to get more healthy yet simple recipes into our routine. I had no intentions of sharing it on the blog. But when we tried to deviate from this recipe and try some others, we soon realized how special this recipe was and had to share it with you all.
What I love the most about this recipe is how flavorful the chicken is without any overpowering ingredients. Don’t get me wrong – I love garlic and cilantro, but sometimes, that’s all you taste when you use it in a sauce or marinade. The ingredients in this marinade all work in unison to bring the flavor but it’s almost impossible to pick out each one individually. And as a bonus, all the ingredients are pantry staples so you probably have them on hand right now!
And now, let me show you some pictures of My Favorite Grilled Chicken Sandwich!
Components of this chicken sandwich
My favorite grilled chicken sandwich consists of just three components:
- Marinated grilled chicken
- Ranch dressing
- Soft potato bun
All of these things came together by chance but have since made my favorite healthy meal that I never get sick of it. There have been multiple weeks that we’ve made these twice for dinner! And I know it’s great because it’s the only non-fried chicken that my toddler will eat. The true measure of success is getting her to eat (and enjoy!) a healthy dinner.
Marinating the chicken
This marinade is the easiest marinade I’ve ever made. I have all these ingredients on hand at all times and can mix them together into a perfect marinade in under 5 minutes.
The ingredients consist of:
- Olive oil
- Lime juice
- Chili powder
They all get whisked together and poured over chicken cutlets and refrigerated for only 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
Assembling the sandwich
Once the chicken has marinated, it’s patted dry, seasoned, and grilled to perfection. Then, it’s time to assemble the sandwiches.
The grilled chicken is placed on a soft potato bun and then topped with ranch dressing. I love the Litehouse Homestyle Ranch Dressing but you can use whichever ranch dressing you love the most.
Tips & Tricks
- Do not marinate the chicken for more than 2 hours. The acidity of the lime juice will turn the chicken’s texture rubbery if marinating for too long.
- To get those beautiful grill marks, make sure you pat dry the chicken AND get your grill perfectly preheated.
- There is no salt in the marinade so don’t forget to season the chicken before grilling so that it doesn’t taste bland.
My Favorite Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- 1.5 pounds chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 potato hamburger buns
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk ranch dressing
- Cut chicken breasts in half lenghtwise to make into 4 cutlets. Place into shallow plate or storage container. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, lime juice, honey, cumin, and chili powder together. Pour over the chicken. Flip chicken around to coat it in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 30 mins to 2 hours MAX.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Once chicken has marinated, remove from plate and pat dry with paper towels. Discard marinade. Cover both sides of chicken with salt. Place on hot grill for 5 minutes, and then flip to cook for 4 more minutes or until it reaches 160 degrees. Remove from grill and turn grill off.
- Split hamburger buns and place 1 tablespoon of ranch dressing on the inside of the top bun. Place one chicken cutlet on the button bun and close bun to make sandwich. Repeat with other cutlets. Serve immediately.