Nutella Fruit Waffle – Buttery, airy waffles are topped with Nutella and sliced fruit
Today’s recipe is a recreation of a KILLER waffle I had not long ago. It was called a Nutella waffle taco and it was the best thing I ate on my whole vacation. The buttery waffles with the luscious Nutella was perfectly balanced with the fresh fruit on top. Every bite was heaven.
For the waffle, I used the recipe for my BEST waffles. Why do anything different than the best? They are then finished off with smooth Nutella and slices of fresh bananas and berries. That’s all there is to it.
Let’s take a closer look at these waffles, shall we?
Making the waffles
The process for making waffles is super simple. In fact, it’s one of the first things I learned to make on my own as a kid. Back then, I used a premade batter but today we’re going to make them from scratch.
First, you start by whisking the dry ingredients together. Then, the wet ingredients are added and whisked together. The wet ingredients include only egg yolks instead of the whole egg. We do this so we can separately whip the egg whites and fold them into the batter for a lighter texture. You may have done this in cake recipes for the same reason.
Once the batter is made, it’s added to a hot waffle iron and cooked until nice and brown on the outside. No flipping or turning required. Just patience.
When the waffles are done, they are spread with a couple tablespoons of Nutella and then topped with slices of fresh strawberries, bananas, and blueberries.
Tips and Tricks
- Waffle maker instructions. Make sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions on the waffle maker to make sure you cook the waffles properly.
- Hot waffle iron. Make sure the waffle iron is hot before adding the batter. This ensures the waffles are crispy on the outside but light and fluffy on the inside.
- No mixer required. You don’t need a mixer to beat the egg whites. I did mine by hand and they came out just as good. The process took longer but at least I didn’t have to dirty the mixer!
- Spread Nutella on hot waffles. The heat from the waffles will make the Nutella super luscious and creamy.
Nutella Fruit Waffle
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs separated
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 2 sticks unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 13-ounce jar nutella
- 1 dry quart strawberries
- 1 dry pint blueberries
- 2 bananas
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions. In a large bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add egg yolks, milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk together to combine. Add to dry ingredients and whisk together just until combined.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add to batter and gently fold in just until combined.
- Spray nonstick spray on preheat waffle iron. Add batter to waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer's instructions. Mine held 1 cup of batter but yours could hold more or less depending on the size of the iron. Repeat with all of the batter. Remove waffles once the steam stops and the waffles are deep golden brown.
- Spread hot waffles with about 2 tablespoons of Nutella and top with sliced strawberries, blueberries, and sliced bananas. Serve immediately.