Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate – A yummy, comforting hot chocolate, with a special new addition: creamy peanut butter! Ready in less than 10 minutes.
Ya,’ll, guess what?! It’s finally cold here! Woohoo! Remember last month when I was complaining about the 80-degree temps? No longer! Yesterday it was a high of 40 degrees. Yessssss! And, of course, I busted out my tall boots, scarf, and gloves to welcome in the freezing temps. I love it!
Now that it’s cold, I’ve been craving some hot chocolate. There are so many yummy variations of hot chocolate: peppermint, salted caramel, white hot chocolate…you name it! But I need something that really spoke to me.
Back when I made these Reese’s Peanut Butter Cookies, I talked about my obsession with peanut butter and chocolate. It’s a combo that cannot be beat. So my decision was easy: I HAD to make a peanut butter hot chocolate.
Growing up, the only hot chocolate I knew came in a packet and you added hot water to it to make hot chocolate. I had no idea you could easily make this from scratch. All it takes it hot milk and cocoa and (sometimes) sugar. But for this version, we don’t use any added sugar because there is enough in the chocolate chips that we’ll also add. So all we need is chocolate chips, creamy peanut butter, cocoa powder and milk. That’s it!
I cannot stress how much I love this peanut butter hot chocolate. It’s got the perfect accent of peanut butter without loosing the chocolate flavor. I added marshmallows to mine, which gave the hot chocolate a little extra sweetness. And when the marshmallows get warm, they softened up and melt in your mouth. So decadent!
Before you get started on your own peanut butter hot chocolate, I have some tips for you to ensure this hot chocolate comes out perfectly:
- When heating up the chocolate chips and peanut butter, be very careful not to overheat – this will cause the chocolate to harden up.
- To make sure the chocolate and peanut butter blend easily into the milk, slowly add the milk into the chocolate and peanut butter mixture. I didn’t do that the first time so I had to whisk for a few minutes to help them blend together. So don’t worry if you have to do the same. Just keep whisking until you don’t see chocolate pieces floating around. Trust me, they’ll eventually smooth out.
- You can top your hot chocolate with whatever you want: whipped cream, marshmallows, chocolate chips, chopped peanut butter cups, peanut butter chips. The list is endless! I used marshmallows, chocolate sauce, and peanut butter sauce. To make the peanut butter sauce, all you do is microwave a tablespoon of creamy peanut butter sauce for 20 seconds or until smooth. Simple as that!
- This recipe makes 4 cups of hot chocolate. But I only served it for my husband and I so we had some leftover. I simply added the leftovers to a food storage container and refrigerated it. I microwaved a cup of it the next day and it tasted just as good. I would say that this would keep good in the fridge for about 5 days.
Well, there you have it! My favorite hot chocolate recipe. And I hope it will be your favorite too! What other hot drinks do you like to have during the winter? Let me know if the comments below!
Here are all the kitchen tools and serveware that I used in this post. For each item that is sold, I receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting the brands that support CPA!
Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 32 ounces milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup mini-marshmallows (for topping)
- Turn on stove to medium heat. Add chocolate chips and peanut butter. Stir together with whisk until melted and smooth. Be careful not to let it get too hot or it will harden.
- Very slowly, whisk in milk. The slower you do it, the easier it will be to incorporate into the chocolate-peanut butter mixture. Keep whisking until all the chocolate is mixed into the milk. This may take 1-2 minutes.
- Add in cocoa powder and whisk until mixed into milk mixture.
- Keep cooking until the mixture begins to froth on top. Check temperature. If full warmed-through, turn off heat and serve. Top with marshmallows and chocolate sauce and/or melted peanut butter. You can also add chopped peanut butter cups.
More recipes you’ll enjoy: