Schnitzel Sub Sandwich – Crispy, thin fried chicken tenders are place in a hoagie bun, along with a squeeze of lemon juice, baby arugula, and shaved Parmesan cheese to make a new take on a chicken tender sub.
I love a great sandwich. I tried a new sandwich recently that was so simple – fried chicken, arugula, a hint of mayo, lemon juice, and Parmesan cheese. It was INCREDIBLE. I love how fresh it tasted, despite being a fried piece of chicken in a hoagie roll.
I fell so deeply in love with this sandwich that I had to recreate it at home. It was so simple, with the biggest step being the pounding and frying of the chicken tenders. But don’t worry – since they’re fried in a shallow pool of oil, it is much simpler than deep frying.
After frying, the chicken tender is added to a fresh hoagie roll with a little mayo, a squeeze of lemon juice, some baby arugula, and finished with a dusting of freshly shaved Parmesan cheese.
Here is my Schnitzel Sub Sandwich!
Tips & Tricks
- Flatten the chicken evenly. To ensure the chicken fits well into the sandwich, it has to be flat. Make sure it’s flattened into an even length to allow it to cook evenly.
- Season well. We season the chicken, flour, and breadcrumbs so that the chicken is perfectly flavorful.
- Use the lemon! Fried food can taste rich and heavy. The lemon juice is just what the chicken needs to lighten it up a bit and add some freshness.
Schnitzel Sub Sandwich
- 6 raw skinless chicken tenders
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more for seasoning
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ¾ cup baby arugula
- 1 lemon sliced into wedges
- 2 tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese
- Take 3 chicken tenders and place on a sheet of plastic wrap about 2 inches apart. Cover with another sheet of plastic wrap. Beat with a meat pounder until the tenders are thinned out, about ¼-inch thick. Remove and repeat with other three chicken tenders. Season chicken tenders with a little salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add canola oil to a cast-iron skillet until about ¾-inch high. Set over medium heat.
- In a shallow bowl, add bread crumbs and a pinch of salt. Mix together. Add eggs to another shallow bowl and whisk until scrambled. In another shallow bowl, add flour and 1 teaspoon of salt and whisk together.
- Grabbing one flattened chicken tender, dip in flour until covered on both sides, then into eggs until covered on both sides, and finally into seasoned breadcrumbs until completely coated. Set on a clean plate. Repeat with other chicken tenders.
- Once oil is hot (about 350 degrees), place three chicken tenders in the oil to cook for about 1.5 minutes per side. Remove from oil, letting excess oil drain off. Place on a wire rack over a baking sheet to drain off the rest of the oil. Repeat with other three tenders. Turn off heat.
- Slice hoagie rolls in half. Spread one half with a little mayonnaise. Place 1.5 chicken tenders on the side of the hoagie with mayo. Sprinkle with a little arugula. Squeeze lemon over the arugula and chicken. Finish with shaved Parmesan cheese