Grilled Egg & Cheese Sandwich– Creamy scrambled eggs are topped with colby jack cheese and chives and then sandwiched in between two slices of buttery toasted brioche.
I just love a good breakfast sandwich. It’s hearty and comforting and loaded with a bunch of textures. But my newest obsession is an egg and cheese breakfast sandwich. I love egg and cheese on a biscuit, in a burrito, on a bagel – you name it! There’s just something about velvety eggs and gooey cheese that is great enough without any salty bacon or sausage.
For today’s recipe, I take egg & cheese sandwiches to another level. I put those two ingredients in between slices of buttery, toasted brioche and sprinkle them with chives. It gives of grilled cheese vibes, so I call this my Grilled Egg & Cheese Sandwich.
The easiest breakfast sandwich you’ll make
Breakfast sandwiches are great but they can be a hassle to make at home. With a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit, for example, you need to make bacon, eggs, and biscuits just to compile them in a sandwich. By the time all the components are ready, breakfast is almost over.
For today’s recipe, however, you will have yourself a sandwich in 10 mins or less. First, you melt some butter in a nonstick pan and toast the brioche. Once it’s golden brown on the bottom, the brioche slices are removed.
Next, the eggs are scrambled with a little salt and pepper and placed in a slightly hot pan. The eggs are cooked until medium and then a slice of colby cheese going on top. The eggs are transferred to the toasted brioche and then finished with chives.
Tips & Tricks
- Low heat. The most important step in making creamy scrambled eggs is low heat. You want those eggs to cook slowly so they don’t get “shocked” and turn rubbery.
- Chives. Do not skip the fresh chives in this sandwich. They really add depth and freshness.
Grilled Egg & Cheese Sandwich
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices brioche bread
- 6 large eggs
- 1 pinch salt and ground pepper
- 2 slices colby jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives more for garnish
- Place nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add butter and let it melt. In a medium bowl, add eggs, and a little salt and pepper. Whisk until combined. Set aside. Once the butter is melted add the toast (you may have to do this in two batches, depending on the size of you skillet). Leave bread untouched until the bread turns golden brown on the bottom. Then remove from skillet and set on a serving plate, untoasted side down. Reduce heat in skillet to low.
- Add eggs to nonstick skillet and leave undisturbed. Once the edge of the eggs starts to cook slightly, gently fold eggs over each other to cook the eggs more and prevent them from browning. Remove from heat right before the eggs finish cooking. Top eggs with slices of colby jack, one slice right next to the other. Cover the eggs until the cheese starts to melt.
- Split eggs over two slices of brioche. Sprinkle with chives for garnish. Top with another slice of toasted brioche. Serve immediately.