Honey Mustard Chopped Salad – Chicken breast is marinated in a honey mustard vinaigrette, cooked, and then topped on a bed of chopped Romaine, cherry tomatoes, red onion, bacon, and avocado.
With spring comes tons of yummy produce. And because of that, I always get in a salad kick this time of year. I love all kinds of salad. There’s this Avocado Cucumber Salad that is refreshing yet hearty from all the chunks of avocado. Then there’s this Peach Caprese Salad that I fell in love with last summer.
Of course, I also love tons of traditional salads made with lettuce and tons of various toppings. It’s been a while since I shared one with you guys, the last one being this Southern Cobb Salad almost two years ago. Can you believe that?!
But wait no longer – today I have a great salad recipe that is simple yet satisfying. The ingredients are fresh and the flavors are familiar – nothing crazy about this salad.
Say hello to my Honey Mustard Chopped Salad!
How is this salad made
This salad is super simple. It’s made with tons of produce so you can really embrace the fruits of spring. In this salad we have the following:
- Romaine lettuce
- Cherry tomatoes
- Red Onion
- Crispy bacon
- Honey mustard chicken
- Honey mustard dressing
I make sure to dice the lettuce, onion, and avocado so that it’s a true chopped salad. I like the cherry tomatoes halved so I didn’t dice those up.
Honey mustard chicken
This major flavor in this salad comes from the honey mustard chicken. It’s a marinated chicken breast that cooked in its own sauce to seal in the flavors. To make this marinade you simply mix two different kinds of mustard, honey, garlic, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar. Yup, that’s really all there is to it!
Half of the marinade is set aside to be used in the dressing. To make the dressing, we just add a couple tablespoons of water to the marinade and whisk it all together. That’s it!
Tips & Tricks
- My favorite low-maintenance method of cooking bacon is in the oven. All you need to do is lay out the bacon strips on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and bake in a 400-degree oven for 20 minutes. No flipping required! Make sure to drain the bacon on paper towels to collect the excess grease.
- This recipes serves 4 individual salads, however you can easily make this salad in one large serving for a crowd. Simply add all the ingredients to a large bowl, chop the chicken into small pieces, and toss together with the dressing.
- To dice avocado easily, cut the avocado in half and scoop out the flesh of the avocado in one large piece. Flip the avocado so that the center is facing down. Dice the avocado.
Honey Mustard Chopped Salad
For the marinade/dressing:
- ⅓ cup honey
- 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the salad:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 raw chicken breasts
- 8 ounces bacon cooked and diced
- 6 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1½ cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 avocados diced
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Marinate the chicken:
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a shallow dish. Pour half of the marinade into a separate bowl. Set aside. Add chicken breasts to the shallow dish and coat them in the marinade. Cover and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
Make the salad:
- Once the chicken is marinated, add olive oil to a skillet and heat over medium heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and add a pinch of salt and pepper on both sides of each breasts. Add to hot skillet and cook for 6 minutes and then flip. Cook until chicken temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove from heat and let rest.
- Split lettuce among 4 large plates. Top each salad with 1/4 of the bacon, tomatoes, onion, and avocado. Cut each chicken breast into slices. Add one breast to each salad.
- Take remaining marinade and add two tablespoons of water. Add a pinch of ground black pepper. Whisk together. Pour dressing over each salad. Serve immediately.