Easy Sheet-pan Zucchini Gratin – The effort for making zucchini gratin is cut in half, thanks to this easy sheet-pan recipe, made with mozzarella, panko breadcrumbs, and Parmesan cheese.
And I’m back!!
I’m sorry I’ve left you without a new recipe in more than 2 months – being a new mom has really taken a toll on my schedule. I found myself so stressed out trying to think of new recipes, make them, and publish them on time that it was sucking all the fun out of cooking and baking.
So, with the support of my incredible husband, I took a step back from this blog that I love so much before I began to resent it. And, man, am I glad I did! Now I’m back with a TON of recipe ideas that I cannot wait to share with you all.
First up – this Easy Sheet-pan Zucchini Gratin.
I first tried this recipe through Hello Fresh. I’ve talked about my love of Hello Fresh before, but in case you forgot, it’s a subscription service that sends you a box of ingredients with accompanying recipes for the week. We do it once a month to try new recipes and switch-up the weeknight meal slump that we sometimes find ourselves in.
Yup, even food bloggers can get caught in food slumps.
Anywho, this recipe was a side dish that accompanied some kind of chicken. Well, this zucchini gratin clearly stole the show because I don’t even remember what kind of chicken it was!
I loved this zucchini gratin so much for multiple reasons:
- It’s easy – you just throw all the ingredients on a sheet pan and it’s ready in less than 15 minutes
- There are only a few ingredients – zucchini, tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and Italian seasoning
- It’s a healthier version of a traditional gratin – no cream in this recipe!
Before tackling this recipe, here a re a few things to keep in mind:
- Don’t cut your zucchini too thin or else it will get too mushy while it roasts
- I used fresh mozzarella for this recipe because it melts so smooth and has a great texture. But if you rather use shredded mozzarella, that will work just as well.
- Panko breadcrumbs are a MUST in this recipe. They add a whole extra level of crunch that this dish needs
- This is not a recipe I recommend making ahead of time. It’s best when the cheese is warm and melty and the breadcrumbs are still crunchy. If you want to save some time though, you can prep the ingredients ahead of time and simply assemble and bake when it’s time to eat.
Alright guys…there you have it! My first new recipe of 2019! I already have my next one in the works so keep a look out for it next week. I’m so happy to be back 🙂
Easy Sheet-pan Zucchini Gratin
- 2 zucchini
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Slice zucchini into 1/4-inch rounds. Slice plum tomatoes into 1/2 inch wedges (about 8 wedges per tomato). Place veggies onto large baking sheet that can be used under a broiler. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle Italian seasoning. Add a pinch or two of salt and a pinch of pepper, to taste. Toss together.
- Bake veggies in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Remove from oven. Turn up oven to 500 degrees (or use the broiler).
- While the oven is heating up, cut the mozzarella into small cubes. Then, sprinkle panko breadcrumbs over the cooked zucchini, followed by the cubed mozzarella, and the grated Parmesan cheese. Continue baking until breadcrumbs have browned and mozzarella has melted.
- Remove from oven and let it cool for a couple minutes before serving.
Pin for later:
More recipes you’ll love:
Healthy Parmesan-Crusted Chicken
Lemon Avocado Pasta Salad
Parmesan Thyme Potatoes Au Gratin
I love easy recipes for a weekday dinner. Plus my kids love zucchinis!
This is so simple and easy to make. And I love everything about it – the veggies, the cheese… so YUM! This is like perfect side to any dish. Can’t wait to give this a try.
Anne Lawton says
this looks delicious, and a perfect side dish! I’m going to be making this real soon.
Elizabeth Leaver says
I’m so glad you’ve had some time to yourself with the little one! Especially if it brings delicious recipes like this! I love how simple and filling this recipe is. And the crispy, cheesy breadcrumbs
Congratulations on your new arrival! It’s so good to take some time for yourself! This looks like the perfect easy dinner, I love how quick and easy it is! Welcome back Xx
Kiki Johnson says
Zucchini just needs cheese, in my opinion, haha! This recipe is absolutely perfect and would make a great low-carb side alongside some grilled chicken! LOVE the pictures, too
Marisa Franca says
I do think taking time off is the best. We can’t be all things to all people and do it justice. Now, this recipe is my type of recipe. It’s easy and one pan but it’s got loads of taste. Can’t wait to see your other ideas.
I am not a fan of zucchini but this recipe of yours scores on so many points! It’s easy and healthy and it looks delicious!
Sometimes you just need to take time for yourself! I have definitely been there before. Congratulations on your new baby! This is a beautiful comeback recipe that is perfect for busy nights! Sheet pan dinners, especially ones that involve cheese, are just the best! 🙂
Patricia @ Grab a Plate says
I never thought to prep zucchini as a sheet pan dish! What a great idea – can’t wait to give it a go!
I love how simple this is to make..what a delicious idea too! Perfect side in a pinch!
Wow this looks so good! It looks like a dish my grandma makes almost except it’s made with feta cheese and some different spices
Kelly Anthony says
All of those flavors are spectacular together! Mozzarelle, zucchini, tomatoes — a total win!
Thanks so much! I totally agree 🙂
Congratulations on being a new mom! This zucchini gratin looks really tasty and easy to make too. Love sheet pan recipes.
Aw thank you! I love my little pumpkin 🙂
Sarah | Wandercooks says
Great! I’ve got some tomatoes fresh out of our garden that would go perfect with this. Love a quick sheet-pan recipe!
Yesss! Fresh tomatoes are the best!
Veena Azmanov says
I will definitely make this amazing dish of yours. Looks so delicious and Creamy and Cheesy too.
Jere Cassidy says
Congratulations on the baby. Love the sheet pan recipe for a simple, tasty and quick meal.
Thanks so much!
Kelly Anthony says
Congrats on being a new mom and taking some time away to enjoy those sweet baby snuggles. This sheet pan zucchini looks delicious and will make a perfect side dish to any protein.
Aw thank you! I am loving it!
Veena Azmanov says
I am a huge fan of Zucchini and I can eat it every day. I often make baked zucchini but never gratin. I must try this the next time. I think the kids would love it.
Holy yum! This looks so delicious! I am definitely going to make this.
IT looks amazing! I can’t believe it’s so easy to make
It really is!