Chocolate Cinnamon Granola – Classic cinnamon granola is given a chocolatey makeover with the addition of cocoa powder and mini chocolate chips. You’ll be shocked at how great the cinnamon and chocolate pairs together!
Granola is one of my favorite things to make at home. I never knew how easy it was to make or else I would have been making this all along! After making a pumpkin version for the first time last year, I fell in love with homemade granola and now I love thinking up new granola recipes.
My latest version is this Chocolate Cinnamon Granola and it’s honestly the best granola I’ve ever had – homemade or otherwise. I love the combination of cinnamon, chocolate, and sea salt. Those flavors, plus the crunch from the toasted oats, chopped pecans, and sliced almonds make for an irresistible snack that I just cannot get enough of!
My homemade granola recipes almost always have nuts, mostly because I have extra nuts leftover from previous recipes. This is the perfect way to use them all up! I used pecans and sliced almonds for this recipe but you can use whatever nuts you have lying around.
To make granola there’s only a few major steps:
- Mix dry ingredients (oats and nuts)
- Mix wet ingredients (honey, vanilla, oil, cinnamon, cocoa powder, etc)
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together
- Bake until toasted
See how easy it is?!
After making granola a few times, here are the things that I learned to make sure the granola comes out INCREDIBLE:
- Do not under-cook the granola! Raw oats and nuts are not yummy, no matter home much honey they are coated in.
- To make sure the granola cooks evenly, make sure to toss it halfway through baking.
- I like my granola in clusters. To make sure you get clusters of granola, you need to pack down the granola and compact it. Loose granola does not a cluster make.
- This granola recipe has chocolate chips in it. During the baking process, those chips will melt and probably loose their shape and crunch. So I save about 2 tablespoons of the chips and set them aside to add at the end so I have a few chips with crunch left in them.
And that’s all there is to it, folks! I hope you get to try this granola soon. But don’t expect it to last long – every time I make this, it’s gone in a couple days!
Chocolate Cinnamon Granola
- 2 cups old fashioned oats not instant!
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sea salt for finishing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Add chocolate chips, nuts and oats to a large bowl. In a separate small bowl, add the cocoa powder, oil, salt, honey, cinnamon, and vanilla extract and whisk together. Pour mixture into bowl with oats and nuts. Stir together until well-mixed.
- Pour granola onto large baking sheet and spread evenly into one layer and pat down to compact the mixture. Bake 12 minutes and remove. Stir mixture, pat down to compact it again, and return to oven for another 12-15 minutes, until the mixture is golden brown.
- Remove from oven to cool. Add a little sea salt to finish off the granola. Once cool, break apart the granola into chunks.
Pin for later:
More chocolate recipes you’ll love: