S’mores Brownies – Chewy chocolate brownies are baked on a homemade graham cracker crust and then topped with marshmallows that get perfectly toasted before serving.
After a couple new recipes for savory dishes, it’s time to get back to what I do best – chocolate! Today’s recipe is a delicious sweet treat with familiar flavors. It’s my recipe for S’mores Brownies! It comes a little late, as National S’mores Day was two days ago but you really don’t need a special day to enjoy s’mores, am I right??
These brownies are gooey in all the best ways – gooey brownie centers and gooey toasted marshmallow on top. The chocolate flavor of the brownies is especially wonderful thanks to the espresso powder in the batter that elevates it. You can’t distinguish the espresso in the brownie – you just taste a rich, chocolate brownie.
Before we get more into the recipe, here are some drool-worthy photos of my S’mores Brownies!
To make these layered brownies, I used my favorite graham cracker crust recipe and baked my favorite brownie recipe right on top of it. Finally, I topped with marshmallows and toasted them to create that perfect gooey marshmallow topping.
Graham Cracker Crust
The graham cracker crust is simply made by mixing graham cracker crumbs, butter, and sugar. The mixture will resemble sand but it will form a single even layer when packed down into the baking pan. Then, it get’s baked until golden brown.
The brownies in this recipe are my go-to brownies. I have made them many times and find that they taste even better than the boxed kind. They even have that flakey crust on top that you get from boxed brownies!
The best part about this recipe, however, if that they use cocoa powder to give the chocolate flavor – no need to melt solid chocolate for these brownies! That makes this recipe even easier since you probably have cocoa easily available at home versus the solid stuff.
The recipe starts with mixing the different components separately:
- Butter gets melted with sugar and oil – this helps dissolve some of the sugar to create that iconic flakey crust on top
- Cocoa and flour get mixed together – this reduces the amount of mixing you’ll have to do once the liquid ingredients are added, ensuring that the brownies don’t get tough
- Eggs and sugar are mixed together – this also reduces the amount of mixing needed once the dry ingredients are added
Now we start to add the components together. The butter is slowly added while the eggs and sugar mixture is still mixing on low speed. This ensures that the eggs are tempered and don’t scramble from the warm butter.
Finally, the dry ingredients are added with the chocolate chips and mixed on low JUST until the batter forms. Don’t mix any longer than that or else the brownies will get tough!
The batter is then spread into the baked graham cracker crust until completely baked-through.
The last step of the s’mores brownies is the marshmallow topping. To make this topping all you do is slice large marshmallows in half and place them on top of the baked brownie. Bake them in the preheat oven for about 5 minutes or until the marshmallows are toasted and gooey.
The brownies need to cool completely before serving so that they don’t fall apart in the cutting process.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure you pack down the graham cracker crust down tight. This ensures the crust doesn’t crumble into pieces when you cut the brownies into squares.
- The brownies need to be completely cooled before you cut into them. Otherwise, they will fall apart.
- To make the brownies easier to cut, line the pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
For the graham cracker crust:
- 1½ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 5 tablespoons butter unsalted, melted
- ¼ cup sugar
For the brownies:
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1½ cup sugar divided
- 1½ sticks butter unsalted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 18-24 large marshmallows halved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a square 8×8 or 9×9 pan with non-stick spray. Mix graham cracker crust ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour into greased pan and press into a level crust. Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and keep oven on.
- In a small saucepan, add 1/2 cup sugar, butter, and oil. Turn heat to medium and cook until butter is completely melted. Turn off and mix together. Let cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, espresso powder, and salt all together until combined. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix eggs, yolk, and 1 cup of sugar together until combined. With the mixer on low, very slowly pour melted butter mixture into egg mixture. Turn mixer off and add flour mixture and chocolate chips. Mix on low just until combined.
- Pour mixture into baked graham cracker crust and bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, depending on the size of the pan. Remove when toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Arrange halved marshmallows into one even layer on top of the baked brownies. Place back in preheated oven until the marshmallows turn toasty brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 1 hour before attempting to cut them. Any sooner and they could fall apart!
Loving this ingenious combination. Yum! Definitively a must ty recipe. Thanks for sharing 🙂
Denay DeGuzman says
There’s just so much to love about these fudgy smores brownies! It’s impossible to eat just one. This recipe is perfect for the fall season and fun backyard camping with the kiddos.
Great idea! Sounds like. treat! I will make these for my nieces this weekend!
Smore’s brownies were the best idea! This recipe was incredibly delicious and easy to whip up. Thanks for this!
S’mores and brownies are both my favorites!! I can’t wait to try these!
What a great idea to combine brownies and s’mores! I always say that traditional s’mores don’t contain enough chocolate, so you’ve fixed my problem! My family is going to love these!
Nadalie Bardo says
OMG. YES PLEASE! Who needs to camp to enjoy smores. This combination is genius!
I would eat the whole pan of these I love s’mores!!! SO GOOD
Jen @ JENRON DESIGNS says
This is a fun way to mix up a regular brownie recipe and make it new, especially for the fall.
Amber Myers says
Oh yes, I would be all about these. They look incredible! Must try!