Strawberry Habanero Margarita – Strawberries and small amounts of habanero are muddled together and shaken with lime juice, agave, and tequila before pouring over ice
Margarita’s are one of my favorite drinks so if I see a new version of a margarita on a menu, you can almost guarantee that I will want to try it. When I saw this Strawberry Habanero Margarita on the menu at a local spot, I was intrigued and ordered it immediately.
Since it was the only margarita on the menu, I didn’t really let the habanero scare me away. I had no other choices and me wanted some tequila. But I am so glad I tried it. It was the perfect blend of sweet and spicy and refreshing, all at once. I loved it!
So today I have my version for you to try for yourself. Unlike many of my other drink recipes, this recipe is for 1 serving. However, you can easy double, triple or quadruple the recipe to make more.
Here is my Strawberry Habanero Margarita!
Making this margarita
There is really nothing difficult about making this margarita. First, you muddle the strawberry and habanero together. You want to try to get out as much juice as possible from the strawberries. This will serve as the base for the drink. Strain out the excess fruit pulp and pepper slices.
Next the juice is shaken with ice, tequila, lime juice, agave syrup, and a pinch of salt. The mixture is poured over ice in a short salt-rimmed glass. And that’s all there is to it!
Tips & Tricks
- Muddling the fruit. You want to try to get out as much juice as possible from the strawberries. This will serve as the base for the drink.
- Minimal habanero. Use very little habanero in this drink. It’s a very spicy pepper so a little goes a long way.
- Making a pitcher. This recipe yields 1 drink. If you want to make a pitcher, multiply the recipe by 6. Instead of muddling the fruit and pepper, blend them in a blender and strain out the pulp. You also may want to reduce the pepper used if you choose to blend it. Blending will make it spicier. You can always add more later but you can’t take it away once you’ve blended it in.
Strawberry Habanero Margarita
- 4 medium strawberries
- 2 thin slices hapanero pepper
- ¾ ounce fresh lime juice
- 1½ ounces silver tequila
- ¾ ounce agave syrup
- 1 pinch salt plus more for rim
- Muddle strawberries and habanero slices together in a shaker. Add lime juice, tequila, agave, and salt. Add a scoop of ice. Cover shaker and shake for 10 seconds.
- Grab a short glass and rub the rim with a lime wedge or a wet paper towel. Dip rim in salt. Fill glass with ice. Strain mixture over ice. Serve immediately.
Oh, what a wunderful cocktail. Mabe it is a little bit spicy but I will try it ext time
This strawberry margarita is so refreshing and has just the right amount of spice. We loved it and plan to put it on our Cinco de Mayo party menu.
Ohhh can’t wait to try this one! Looks really good and refreshing! Just perfect for the season!
Margaritas are my fave yet I have never tried making my own! Thank you for sharing this recipe with us, will definitely be giving it a try.
Margarita’s are one of my favorite drinks too. So I couldn’t help but try a margarita with habanero as you recommended. And I love it! Thank you for a recipe!
joy abou zeid says
Can’t wait to do this cocktail recipe for when it gets warmer!!
Dana Sandonato says
This sounds amazing! I’m hosting book club next week, on Cinco de Mayo, and am totally making these 🙂
I love this already, and I haven’t even made it yet. I love that spicy kick that this one has. I can’t wait to try it.
Absolutely loved the sweet, spicy, salty combo of this margarita. It’s definitely on our summer menu for life!
I bet these flavors work so well together. The spicy and the sweet!
Amber Myers says
This looks so refreshing and delicious. I need to make one because it’s been HOT here.