Avocado Cucumber Salad – Fresh avocado and mini cucumber slices are tossed with red onion, cilantro, and homemade avocado lime dressing
Summer is herrrrrrre so bust out the avocados, y’all!
Who am I kidding…it doesn’t have to be summer for me to enjoy avocados. However, they are much more flavorful (and cheaper!) in the summertime so I get especially excited to eat them this time of year.
The first recipe I have lined up for you this summer is this Avocado Cucumber Salad. I love this recipe because it’s so refreshing, thanks to the cucumber and the lime dressing. Plus, it’s a nice break from the guacamole that tends to hog the avocado spotlight.
How to make this recipe
This avocado salad is made with a few ingredients so it’s not too complicated. However, that does not mean that this salad skimps on flavor. There are so many fresh ingredients in this salad that just shout flavor at you with every bite.
To make this salad, all you are doing is tossing chunks of avocado with cucumber slices, cilantro leaves, and sliced red onion. The red onion is key for adding that pop of color to this otherwise green salad.
The dressing in this avocado cucumber salad is homemade but it comes together in no time. First, we mash up a couple chunks of avocado. Next, we add olive oil, cumin, lime juice, agave, and season with salt and pepper. Finally, whisk it all together until combined. That’s all there is to it!
Finally, you just toss the ingredients with the salad dressing and voila – the best salad you’ll have all summer!
Tips & Tricks
As always, here are a few tips to ensure you get this recipe right the first time:
- It’s important that you use the mini cucumbers because they have much less water than traditional cucumbers. However, if you cannot find them, you can use English/hothouse cucumber and achieve the same results.
- You need to make sure you buy avocados that aren’t too soft. If they are too soft, they won’t hold their shape and bite when tossed with the dressing.
- You cannot make this recipe ahead of time because the avocado will get brown. However, you can make the dressing ahead of time and prep all the other ingredients beforehand. When ready to serve, dice avocado, add dressing, and toss together.
Avocado Cucumber Salad
- 2 medium hass avocados semi-ripe
- 1 mini cucumber
- 1/2 small red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and dice avocado into large 1 inch chunks. Add all chunks, except for two, into medium bowl. Add separated chunks into small bowl and smash with a fork until smooth. Set aside.
- Slice red onion and mini cucumber and add to bowl with avocado. Add in chopped cilantro. Set aside.
- Grab smashed avocado. Add olive oil, cumin, agave, and juice of the 1 lime. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk together until combined. Add dressing to medium bowl with vegetables. Toss together until combined. Serve immediately.