Cheddar Sesame Crackers – Crispy, buttery crackers loaded with cheddar cheese and topped with sesame seeds
I used to think making my own chips and crackers was a silly waste of time. Why make when I can buy? After making these crackers, I am not ashamed to say how wrong I was.
Homemade crackers have a stronger flavor and a flakier texture than anything I’ve bought before. And because you control the ingredients, you can make them taste however you like! I love sesame seeds so I added them to a cheesy cracker. I also added in a pinch of cayenne for a hint of heat that barely hits the back of your palette.
The resulting snack was these Cheddar Sesame Crackers. How yummy do these look??
Similar to pie dough
The process to making these crackers is, funnily enough, similar to making a pie dough. It’s formed in a food processor and derives most of it’s moisture from fat. In this case, the fat comes from butter and cheese. Water is only added to help it come together. Only 2 tablespoons are needed, though!
Forming the crackers
After the dough has formed, it’s chilled to get slightly firm. Then, it’s rolled out into a square and brushed with egg wash. The egg wash helped the sesame seeds stick to the cracker. The seeds get sprinkled all over the dough. Finally, the dough is sliced into smaller rectangles. I used a fluted pastry cutter to form crinkle edges on mine. But you can use a simple pizza cutter, too.
The crackers are baked until crispy and slightly brown on top.
Tips & Tricks
- The dough in this recipe is made with a food processor. It chops up the cheese and butter perfectly into the flour. I think it will be pretty hard to do without a food processor so I don’t recommend making this recipe by hand.
- Make sure you cook the crackers until they start to brown on top. This ensures they’re perfectly crispy and the sesame seeds toast on top.
- Only use a dash of cayenne in the dough. You won’t taste any heat from it but you will get a little flavor kick at the end of each bite.
Cheddar Sesame Crackers
- 6 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- dash cayenne pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter unsalted, cold, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg wash (1 beaten egg with 1 teaspoon water)
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Add shredded cheese, flour, cornstarch, salt, and cayenne to the bowl of a food processor. Close and blend until combined, about 15 seconds. Add cubed cold butter and process until mixture resembles wet sand and butter is in teeny pieced.
- Turn processor on and drizzle in cold water. Process until dough forms, about 10-15 seconds. Turn off. Split dough into two halves and form each half into a square of dough. Wrap eat with plastic wrap and chill until more firm. at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove one square from the fridge and place onto clean counter dusted with a little flour. Using a rolling pin, roll square until each edge is 9-inches long. Trim the edges so they are smooth, making an 8-inch square. Brush the dough with egg wash and sprinkle with half of the sesame seeds.
- Cut square into 8 strips. Cut each strip into four rectangles. Pierce each rectangle with a fork about 4 times. Place onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in preheated oven for about 18 minutes or until the tops just begin to brown. Repeat with other square of dough.
- Let the crackers cool completely before serving.