Pistachio Loaf – Real pistachios are ground and added to olive oil, eggs, sugar, flour, and a hint of almond extract to make this gorgeous loaf that is great for dessert or afternoon tea.
I’ve spent the last 2 weeks getting back into healthy mode. But now it’s time for a break. Bring on the cake! I have a delicious new loaf cake for you today. And it’s loaded with real pistachios. None of that fake pudding mix in this recipe, folks!
This Pistachio Loaf is made by chopping real pistachios finely and then adding in eggs, olive oil, milk, almond extract, and flour. Olive oil seems odd at first, but it adds an incredible amount of moisture. And the way it pairs with pistachios enhances their flavor. Once the cake bakes, you don’t taste even a hint of olive oil flavor. I promise!
Here is my Pistachio Loaf!
Tips & Tricks
- Lightly salted pistachios. It’s important to use lightly salted pistachios in this recipe. Since we’re adding salt to the batter, using really salty pistachios will make the cake a little too salty. If you cannot find light salted pistachios, use salted ones and omit the salt from the batter.
- Cover the cake if browning too fast. Loaf cakes take about an hour to make Because of this long bake time, sometimes the outside will get too brown before the inside is fully-cooked. To prevent this, keep an eye on your bread and top with foil when you notice the top beginning to get too brown.
- Do not mix too much! Be very careful not to over-mix this batter. If you mix too much, it will make the bread tense and tough.
- Food processor needed. This recipe calls for a food processor. If you don’t have one, you’ll have to chop the nuts by hand. This will take almost 10 minutes to get them finely chopped. After that, you can just complete the rest of the steps with a bowl and whisk or a stand mixer.
- 1 cup roasted pistachios lightly salted
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup milk
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Set aside. If you have a dark colored pan, reduce heat to 325 degrees.
- Add 1 cup of pistachios to a full-sized food processor. Pulse to chop just a little bit. Remove 2 tablespoons of chopped pistachios from the food processor and set aside in a small bowl. Continue to pulse the rest of the pistachio until they are finely chopped. Add sugar and salt and pulse until combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time to the food processor, pulsing after each one. Add almond extract and pulse to combine. With the food processor on, drizzle in olive oil and milk slowly. Once combined, add all flour and baking powder. Pulse just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Spread evenly. Sprinkle reserved chopped pistachios down the center of the batter. Place in preheated oven to bake for 55 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Use a knife to loosen the cake from the edges of the pan. Invert onto a plate to remove it form the pan. Serve immediately or within 2 days.