Chicken Philly Quesadillas – Tortillas are stuffed with cooked chicken, melted Provolone cheese, and tender onions & peppers. Great for dinner or for parties.
How is everyone doing out there? I hope you’re staying home as much as possible. It’s the best thing we can do to combat this virus together.
While you’re hunkering down, you’re going to need more easy meals to add to your recipe list. Today’s recipe accomplishes just that. It’ll be ready in under 30 minutes but that doesn’t mean it’s boring in the slightest.
I present to you my Chicken Philly Quesadillas!
What is a chicken Philly?
A Philly is a sub sandwich made with thinly-sliced beef cooked with onions and peppers and then topped with cheese. A chicken Philly simply substitutes the beef for chicken. Chicken is a little harder to slice so thin so I just cut it into smaller pieces, instead.
Making this quesadilla
To turn a chicken Philly into a chicken Philly quesadilla, you simply layer the flavors into a large tortilla instead of a hoagie bun.
You start by cooking the chicken in a pan by itself with a few spices. You don’t want to cook the chicken with the veggies because it crowds the pan and doesn’t let the chicken brown properly. And we all know the brown crust on chicken adds so much flavor.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan and add the peppers and onions with a few more spices. Cook them until soft and tender. The onions should not have a crispy bite to them when they’re done. Add in the chicken and let it get warm again before removing everything from heat.
Now it’s time to assemble the quesadilla! Add some of the chicken and veggie mixture to half of the tortilla. Top with Provolone cheese and fold tortilla in half. Cook in a skillet or griddle for 4 minutes and then flip and cook for 4 more minutes. That’s all there is to it! Just cut the quesadilla into triangles and serve with some sour cream.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure to cut the chicken into small pieces to make it easy to bite into.
- Cook the onions and peppers until tender. This ensures you won’t bite into crunchy veggies.
Chicken Philly Quesadillas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces thinly sliced chicken cutlets cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1/2 red pepper sliced
- 5 large tortillas
- 10 slices provolone cheese
- In a small bowl, mix salt. pepper. paprika, and garlic powder. Set aside. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Once butter has melted, add chicken pieces and sprinkle with half of the seasoning. Cook until done, about 3-6 minutes (depending on how thick your chicken is cut). Remove chicken and place on a plate. Set aside.
- With the skillet still on medium high, add onions and peppers. Sprinkle with remaining seasoning and cook until tender, about 6-8 minutes. Add chicken to warm back up for about 1 minute. Turn off heat.
- Place a large tortilla on a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add 2/3 cup of chicken and veggie mixture to have of the tortilla. Add two slices of provolone to the top. Fold tortilla over the mixture completely to meet the other edge. Cook for 2 minutes. Flip and cook for 1-2 minutes or until the crust starts to brown and the cheese has melted. Remove from heat and repeat with rest of tortillas.
- Cut quesadillas into 4 pieces. Serve with sour cream.