Crispy S’mores Bars – Golden Grahams cereals is tossed with melted marshmallow and topped with more marshmallows and chocolate bar pieces before being toasted under the broiler and cut into bars.
It’s been way too long since I posted a recipe for something sweet. So I think it’s time we indulge our sweet tooth, huh?
With all the shortages on flour and yeast, I wanted to make sure it was a recipe you all could actually make during this pandemic. So an easy sweet snack seemed like just the thing.
Check out my Crispy S’mores Bars, made with graham cracker cereal, marshmallows, and silky Hershey’s milk chocolate!
How to make these bars
These bars are made just like classic Rice Krispies Treats – melted marshmallow tossed with cereal and pressed into a rectangle pan and cut into bars. They are no-bake (for the most part) and require very little work at all.
For these bars, we use graham cracker cereal instead of Rice Krispies to give the graham cracker base that you love in classic s’mores. In addition to the melted marshmallow that is used to bind the cereal together, there are more marshmallows added on top for maximum gooey-ness. Finally, the bars are topped with pieces of Hershey’s chocolate bars because it’s not a s’more in my book without Hershey’s chocolate.
Finishing off the bars
Now, after you’ve formed the bars and topped them with more marshmallows and chocolate, we need a way to get those toppings to stay put. Right now, they’re just sitting on top of the bars but as soon as you cut them, those toppings are going to fall off.
In order to keep those toppings in place, they need to melt slightly into the bars. To do this, turn the broiler on low and place the bars under it for about 1 minute. You want to do this just until the chocolate melts and not a second longer! Otherwise, the chocolate will burn and the bars will not look good.
Tips & Tricks
- When broiling the bars, do so just until the chocolate melts. If you leave them in there too long, the chocolate will burn and bubbles will form, causing an unappetizing look.
- The bars will need time to cool before you cut into them, about 1 hour in the fridge. Otherwise, you’ll have a mess when you cut them.
A kid-friendly treat
While photographing this treat, my daughter just couldn’t help herself and just started grabbing at the bars and decorative marshmallows. Instead of shooing her away, I decided to keep snapping and the result was some cute photos of my little monster. If anything, this proves that these treats are kid-approved!
Crispy S’mores Bars
- 7 cups Golden Graham's cereal
- 4 tablespoons butter salted
- 12 ounces mini-marshmallows
- 3 regular Hershey bars broken into smaller pieces
- Measure out 7 cups of cereal and place in large bowl. Set aside. Prepare a 13×9 dish by spraying with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Add butter to a medium/large saucepan. Melt over medium heat. Once melted, add marshmallows and stir continuously until the marshmallows turn gooey and liquefied, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add melted marshmallows directly over the cereal. Quickly toss together to evenly coat the cereal. Place mixture into prepare 13×9 pan and press down with wooden spoon or spatula. Quickly sprinkle on remaining marshmallows and Hershey bar pieces and press into mixture to help them stick.
- Preheat broiler on low and place the 13×9 pan with the cereal bars under the broiler for 1 minute, just to melt the chocolate. Remove when chocolate has melted and not a second after!
- If you don't mind messy bars, you may enjoy immediately. But if you want clean-cut bars, let them cool in the fridge for at least one hour.