Jelly Roll French Toast – Pieces of white bread rolled with raspberry jam, dipped in an egg custard, grilled, and finally rolled in sugar.
One of best part of cooking for kids is making the food in fun shapes. These Jelly Roll French Toast sticks do just that! And don’t think that these are just for kids – the flavor and texture is so yummy that adults enjoy it just as much.
These rolls are made by flattening out white bread, spreading jam on the bread, and then rolling them back up. Each roll is dipped into an egg custard and then griddled on the stove top until cooked through. Finally, then rolled in sugar for a sweet finish.
Here is my Jelly Roll French Toast!
Tips & Tricks
- White bread works best. The softness of white bread makes it easier to flatten and roll up.
- Don’t overfill the rolls. You will have a hard time keeping the bread rolled up if there is too much jam. They could end up unraveling while they cook!
- Flatten out the bread well. To make the bread easy to roll up, make sure the bread is flattened as much as possibly (without tearing it, of course).
- Add rolls to sugar when hot. The sugar will stick best to the French toast rolls when they are hot.
Jelly Roll French Toast
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 20 slices white sandwich bread
- ⅓ cup raspberry jam
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Grab 20 slices of bread and slice off the crust edges. Grab one slice and roll out with a rolling pin until flat. Spread with 2 teaspoons of raspberry jam. Roll up tightly. Repeat with the other 20 slices.
- In a medium bowl, mix heavy cream, salt, and eggs. Mix together with a fork in a whisking motion to beat the eggs well.
- Place nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of butter. While the pan heats up, dip a roll into the batter. Remove roll from custard and let the excess drain off. Then, place seam side down on hot skillet. Cook until the bottoms brown, about 1-2 minutes. Flip and cook 1-2 minutes more. Repeat with the rest of the rolls.
- Add granulated sugar to a shallow bowl. Add French toast rolls to the sugar and roll to cover in sugar. Serve immediately.