Cornbread Cookies – Chewy cornbread cookies are made with butter and cornmeal to give a slight cornbread flavor and texture. The drizzle of honey on top really takes them to another level!
Can you go wrong with a sweet and salty treat? The answer is no, you cannot. These Cornbread Cookies are my new sweet and salty obsession. They start out sweet and chewy, much like any other brown sugar cookie. But they finish with a hint of salty cornbread taste. And with the drizzle of honey on top, there is no mistaking that similarity to cornbread.
Here are my new favorite cookie – Cornbread Cookies!
Tips & Tricks
- Fine cornmeal. Make sure you use fine to medium cornmeal flour for this recipe. Do not use grits or a thicker texture of meal because it will make these cookies gritty.
- Don’t skip the honey! The honey drizzle on top really takes this cookie to an unimaginable level and bring out the cornbread flavor. So make sure you drizzle it on top before serving.
- Cornstarch. The cornstarch in this cookie recipe helps keep the cookie thick without needing to chill the dough ahead of time.
Servings: 48 cookies
- 1 cup butter unsalted, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup fine to medium cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- honey for drizzling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add sugars and softened butter. Beat of medium until creamed together, about 3 minutes. Add in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla extract and honey and beat until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, corn starch, and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix just until a dough forms.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop dough into even-sized balls. Place onto prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Place into preheated oven and bake until the edges turn golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Drizzle with honey before serving.
Recipe adapted from Sweet Tooth and Sass
What a unique recipe! I love cornbread but have never tried making it as cookies. Can’t wait to give this a try!
Lori | The Kitchen Whisperer says
Wow! What an amazing cookie! I love the idea of cornbread cookies! Genius! Definitely a keeper!
Enri Lemoine says
These cookies are genius. What a great idea to bake cornbread cookies. I’m saving (and pinning) for the holidays, where we love to have everything cornbread!
Amy Liu Dong says
I have never tried making corn bread cookies but this one looks really delicious and easy to make.
Tried them with gluten free flour and these Corn Bread Cookies are my new favorite cookies! They stayed moist for days
These cornbread cookies look so yummy! The color and texture plus the honey on top make it so enticing and very tempting! Kids will definitely love these!
These are amazing! Love the honey drizzle in the top. Easy and was such a big hit!
These combine my two favorites – cornbread and brown sugar cookies! The honey drizzle was just the cherry on top! I wish I had more, they were so good.
I love how these cookies came out! Such tasty flavors and my family gobbled them up. This recipe is a keeper!
Jacqueline Debono says
These cookies look amazing and I love the added honey! Does polenta count as cornmeal? Here in Italy, supermarkets sell polenta or corn flour which is finer.
I made these cookies with the kids yesterday and OMG were they delicious! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!
These cornbread cookies look amazingly delicious. Thanks for the recipe.
These cookies are so awesome! It’s been a while since I’ve made cornbread, so this was a good way to make a different version of it. My whole family loved it so much! Thank you!
Honey for the win! I’ve never heard of cornbread cookies, but these look amazing! Looks like a must try.
I have never had cornbread cookies before. So glad I was able to try this recipe. Looking forward to making them again. They were uber soft.
I love cornbread muffins so I bet I would love these cookies. Especially drizzled with honey! Great idea!
Whitney Stewart says
Never have I ever had cornbread cookies. But by George am I gonna have some because these look delicious! Thank you so much for sharing this! I’ll add it to my baking pile!
Amber Myers says
Yum! I admit, I’ve never had cornbread cookies before but I bet I’d be a fan. They look delicious.
I LOVE sweet cornbread and these cookies were a mini version of it, but way more interesting and tastier. I’ll be making these on a regular basis.
Karen Kelly says
I made these for my mom and she loved them! They kept well for her to eat for a few days and she loved the drizzle of honey!