Cornbread Cookies – Chewy cornbread cookies are made with butter and cornmeal to give a slight cornbread flavor and texture. The drizzle of honey on top really takes them to another level!
Can you go wrong with a sweet and salty treat? The answer is no, you cannot. These Cornbread Cookies are my new sweet and salty obsession. They start out sweet and chewy, much like any other brown sugar cookie. But they finish with a hint of salty cornbread taste. And with the drizzle of honey on top, there is no mistaking that similarity to cornbread.
Here are my new favorite cookie – Cornbread Cookies!
Tips & Tricks
- Fine cornmeal. Make sure you use fine to medium cornmeal flour for this recipe. Do not use grits or a thicker texture of meal because it will make these cookies gritty.
- Don’t skip the honey! The honey drizzle on top really takes this cookie to an unimaginable level and bring out the cornbread flavor. So make sure you drizzle it on top before serving.
- Cornstarch. The cornstarch in this cookie recipe helps keep the cookie thick without needing to chill the dough ahead of time.
- 1 cup butter unsalted, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup fine to medium cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- honey for drizzling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add sugars and softened butter. Beat of medium until creamed together, about 3 minutes. Add in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla extract and honey and beat until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, corn starch, and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix just until a dough forms.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop dough into even-sized balls. Place onto prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Place into preheated oven and bake until the edges turn golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Drizzle with honey before serving.