Crispy Peanut Butter Bars – Marshmallow crispy rice bars with peanut butter and a chocolate layer on top
Now that it’s getting so hot outside, turning the oven on just doesn’t seem like something I want to do. That’s why no-bake recipes are perfect for these hot months. My new favorite recipe is for these Crispy Peanut Butter Bars. Chewy, sweet, and salty – plus a little richness from the chocolate. What else could you want?!
I first attempted to make no-bake bars similar to these – scotcharoos. They’re similar but have corn syrup and butterscotch chips in addition to peanut butter and chocolate. They are way too sweet in my opinion. I wanted something a little more balanced and these Crispy Peanut Butter Bars achieve just that.
Take a look at my Crispy Peanut Butter Bars!
How to make these bars
These chewy bars are made just like rice crispy treats, just with a peanut butter added to the marshmallow mix and chocolate spread over the top of the bars when they’re in the pan.
To start, the butter is melted with the peanut butter and then the marshmallows are added. They’re mixed together until the marshmallows are melted. The butter is super important in this recipe because it keeps the marshmallow from being too sticky.
Next, the mixture is removed from the heat and the cereal is added and stirred in the pot until combined. Then, the mixture is pressed into the pan to form the bars. Melted milk chocolate is smoothed over the top. The bars are left to sit until the chocolate firms up, about 2 hours. Then, the bars will be ready to cut.
Tips and Tricks
- Do not overheat. Make sure not to overheat the marshmallows or they could caramelize and turn brown. Heat just until they melt into the peanut butter.
- Cool before cutting. Make sure the chocolate is cooled completely before cutting the bars to ensure a clean cut. Otherwise, the chocolate will get everywhere and create an awful mess.
Crispy Peanut Butter Bars
- 3 tablespoons butter unsalted
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 8 ounces milk chocolate chopped
- Spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray. Set aside. In a large pot, melt butter and peanut butter together. Add marshmallows and stir constantly until smooth. Remove from heat and add cereal. Stir until cereal and peanut butter mixture is combined.
- Pour mixture into greased pan and press down firmly into one even layer. In a microwave safe bowl, place chopped milk chocolate. Microwave in 30 second increments until smooth, stirring after each one. Pour over the peanut butter cereal in the pan. Using an offset spatula, spread into a thin, even layer.
- Let the bars cool completely before cutting, about 2 hours. The cut into 16 even bars. Store in a covered storage container for up to 3 days.