Mixed Berry Fool – A no-bake dessert made from sweetened smashed berries folded into fresh sweetened whipped cream.
Easter is upon us so I hope you’ve got your Easter Brunch menu ready to go. If not, don’t worry! There are plenty of easy dishes here that you can add to the mix. Another wonderful dish is this Mixed Berry Fool.
A fool is something that I recently learned about during my Great British Baking Show binges. All you need to know is that a “fool” is crush fruit folded into fresh sweetened whipped cream. I’ve seen it made with raspberries, mostly, but you can really use any fruit. For my version, I am using a mixture of strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries.
Every single person in my family loved this. It was creamy and light and tart and sweet, all at once. It’s the perfect dessert for any spring gathering. I even love it for Valentine’s Day!
Here is my Mixed Berry Fool!
Tips & Tricks
- Smash strawberries well. To ensure the berries mix well into the whipped cream, it’s important that they are smashed into small pieces.
- Don’t let berries freeze. The berries must be cold before they are folded into the whipped cream. This ensures the whipped cream stays fluffy. We will chill the berries for about 15 minutes in the freezer, but we don’t want ice crystals to form. As such, the berries should be stirred occasionally while in the freezer.
- Lemon juice is a must. A little fresh lemon juice goes a long way, especially with sweet berries. The lemon brings out their tartness and balances them out with the sugar.
Mixed Berry Fool
- 10 fresh strawberries
- ¾ cup fresh raspberries and blueberries
- ⅓ cup sugar divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- mint for garnish
- Hull and quarter the strawberries. Place them in a medium bowl. Add in ¼ cup of sugar, pinch of salt, and lemon juice. Using a fork or pestle, smash the berries until only small pieces remain. Add in blueberries and raspberries and barely smash them. Stir together to combine. Place in freezer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When there is 5 minutes left for the mixture to chill, make the whipped cream. Add whipped cream and remaining sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer. With a whisk attachment beat on medium until stiff peaks form. Add whipped cream to the bowl of berries and fold in gently just until combined. You want red streaks to still be present.
- Spoon berry fool into small serving cups with a garnish of mint leaves.
Amy Liu Dong says
This is an instant favorite! Everything looks perfect on this dessert! Looks amazingly yummy and very delicious! Everyone will love and enjoy eating this!
This is the most decadent dessert! I love how it looks, and it is perfect for guests. We are planning a big family get-together soon, and I bet this mixed berry sensation will be the star of the weekend. Thanks for the idea!
Loreto and Nicoletta says
A beautiful dessert for Easter. What we love about it is the lightness of it, so fresh and presents simply and beautifully! I am so craving this now. Good thing those lovely sweet strawberries are making an appearance in the farmers markets! ❤️
What an incredible dessert! I used vegan heavy cream and it turned out fantastic! I’ll definitely be making it again in the future!
It really looks so enticing and very tempting! It definitely looks so delicious. Everyone will love this, especially kids and kids at heart! Totally love this!
Fresh berries are always my go-to snack and I’ll never say no to them in desserts either! This fool was so good! Can’t believe how simple it is to make too.
Easy, elegant, and creamy – my favorite things 😉 So excited to start our Easter brunch off with this recipe. Thanks!
Your scrumptious Mixed Berry Fool was a breeze to make and left everyone wanting seconds!
I was looking for a new fool recipe and ran across this. It was so delicious and easy to make!
I made this for my brunch this weekend and it was a hit! So fresh and tasty. I love how easy it all came together.
i really love this no-bake dessert – it is so pretty and tasty
Wow, this sounds super delicious! Mashed berries and whipped cream, I could eat this all summer long, Yum!
I loved this recipe! It was so creamy, fruity, and refreshing. I have to tell you I laughed over the name a bit because I was a little annoyed with my husband and was thinking- WOW, what a perfect dessert for this old fool. HA!! I love him dearly but—sigh.
I need this in my life immediately! That looks absolutely delicious, and I love how easy it is to make.
I’d be a fool not to make this!! Yum. This looks amazingly light and fresh. Can’t wait to make this.
This is a perfect dessert for any occasion! Plus it’s so easy to prepare! Thanks for the added tips!
I love anything with whipped cream so I knew I had to try this. Talk about the easiest and fastest dessert I’ve ever made! I brought this to my friend’s shower and it was a hit! Thanks for the great recipe.
Amber Myers says
What an incredible dessert! We love berries so we’ll be huge fans here.