Peanut Butter Banana Bites – Sliced bananas are topped with peanut butter and dipped in chocolate to make a yummy, guilt-free treat that is great fresh or frozen!
Hello, I’m Sharon and I’m a walking cliche. Like everyone else in America, I am spending January in the healthy zone.
I know, how original.
But I have an excuse and she’s a 14-pound, 5.5-month old cutie named Lucy. I still have about 10 pounds of baby weight to lose so I’ve been focusing on that pretty heavily this month. And since I can barely fit in time to, well, think, working out is just not an option for me yet. So I guess diet changes are just gonna have to do!
As a result, you may have noticed healthier recipes on the blog this month. And this next one is no different. But it’s one of my favorites, for sure!
Check out my Peanut Butter Banana Bites!
The inspiration for these bites came from frozen bananas coated in chocolate that I loved getting when I’d go to Disney World. Have you ever had one? I intended on making a bite-sized version of those pops, with peanut butter added because I just looooove peanut butter, banana, and chocolate together.
But once I executed this treat, I found that I love the bites better in their fresh form instead of frozen. I think the banana flavor is more present when the bites are fresh. Sure, that means they won’t last as long, but if my happiness is almost tripled, then that’s worth it.
The great thing about this recipe, however, is that you can enjoy is both ways!
To make the bites, they’re really quite simple:
- Slice bananas and arrange them on a platter
- Top with peanut butter
- Dip in chocolate and let them set
As easy as these bites are to make, there are still a few tips that I gathered to help you along the way:
- Peanut butter is the hardest thing to spread on a banana slice because the banana slice is super slick. So what I did was dollop the peanut butter on, not worrying about how sloppy it looked. Then, I dipped my finger in water and smoothed the peanut butter over the banana evenly. The water makes your finger slick so the peanut butter won’t stick to it.
- Make sure you use chocolate made for melting or candy-making. This ensures that the chocolate gets solid again once it cools. I used the Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate Melting Disks, which you can find at most supermarkets or on Amazon.
- I cut my banana slices pretty think to make them easier to dip in chocolate. Imagine how hard it is to dip a flimsy banana slice in chocolate – it will fall apart everywhere!
There you have it – your new favorite guilt-free treat! Go ahead and get all your healthy eating in now because once February hits, chocolate is taking over and I can’t promise that anything I post with be even the slightest bit healthy 🙂
Peanut Butter Banana Bites
- 3 medium bananas
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 8 ounces dark chocolate melting disks
- flaky sea salt (optional)
- Prepare a dish that can be stored in the freezer by lining it with parchment paper. Slice bananas into 1/2-inch disks layer them on the prepare dish until you have 25 disks.
- Dollop 1/4 teaspoon of peanut butter on each banana disk. Then, dip your finger in water and smooth out the dollop so it's evenly spread over each banana disk. Freeze bananas for 30 minutes MAX to firm up the peanut butter. This will make it easier to dip in chocolate.
- Melt chocolate in microwave in 30 minutes intervals until completely melted, stirring after each interval. Remove bananas from freezer and dip in melted chocolate. Shake off excess chocolate and place back on parchment paper to dry. Repeat with remaining bananas. Freeze for a couple week or enjoy immediately at room temperature.
Pin for later:
More banana treats you’ll love: