Strawberry Pound Cake Sundae – A slice of buttery pound cake is grilled and then topped with vanilla bean ice cream and homemade strawberry sauce.
The second ice cream recipe of this year’s National Ice Cream Month celebration is a little more approachable than homemade ice cream. It’s a sundae! You can certainly use homemade ice cream for this sundae but I’m focused more on the making the sauce from scratch than making the ice cream from scratch.
This sundae is called Strawberry Pound Cake Sundae. It is made using store-bought pound cake. I slice it in 3/4-inch slices and grill each slide in a skillet of butter until perfectly golden on each side. A scoop of vanilla bean ice cream is placed on top of the warm cake, and topped with a homemade strawberry sauce.
The strawberry sauce is made with just 3 ingredients – strawberries, lemon juice, and sugar. The are cooked together in a sauce pan until all the juice is released from the strawberries and then get soft and jammy. Let me tell you – this sauce is my favorite thing about this sundae. I could eat it without ice cream (and I sure did!)!
Without further ado, here is my Strawberry Pound Cake Ice Cream!
Tips & Tricks
- Don’t skip the lemon juice. The lemon juice helps balance the strawberry sauce so it’s not too sweet. It’s really a necessity for the recipe so don’t skip it!
- Make sauce ahead. The sauce can easily be made ahead of time. Simply refrigerate until you need it. I like to warm mine a little before pouring over the ice cream.
Strawberry Pound Cake Sundae
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices butter pound cake
- 1 pint vanilla bean ice cream
- strawberry sauce recipe below
- whipped cream for serving (optional)
For the strawberry sauce:
- 2½ cups halved fresh strawberries
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- Add butter to a large skillet and set over medium heat. When the butter has melted, make sure it is evenly spread over the skillet. Add 4 slices of pound cake and grill until golden brown on bottom, about 1-2 mins. Flip and grill on the other side. Remove from heat and place on their individual plates. Top with 1 scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and a few tablespoons of homemade strawberry sauce.
For the strawberry sauce:
- Add strawberries to medium sauce pan with sugar and lemon juice. Toss to combine. Place over medium heat until bubbling. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes, until the mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and then smash strawberries gently with a potato masher. Let cool before using.